Oakland, California — YouTube said on Tuesday that it had suspended President Trump’s channel due to concerns about the “continuous possibility of violence,” the latest move by one of the major technology companies to restrict the president’s online presence.
The Google-owned video site said in a tweet on the official YouTube account that Trump’s recent video violated its policy of prohibiting the spread of misinformation, and claimed that Trump’s extensive fraud has been suspended. YouTube said that for at least seven days, he could not upload new content to a channel with 2.8 million subscribers. YouTube also said it will ban comments on its videos indefinitely.
Since the president urged his supporters to riot into the Capitol last week, many technology companies have begun to cut Trump online. Since then, Facebook removed the president from its core social network and Instagram at least before the end of his term. Twitter subsequently permanently banned Mr. Trump’s account from its services, which cost him his favorite social media platform, which has 88 million followers. Other sites such as Snapchat, Reddit and Twitch have also cut Mr. Trump’s seats.
This move won praise from liberals and others, who said that action should have been taken long ago because Mr. Trump used social media to spread false information and incite violence. But critics say that the full-scale crackdown has raised questions about the power of technology companies in the field of online discourse.
Large technology companies have also withdrawn support from other websites hosting right-wing content. On Monday, the social networking site Parler was welcomed by Trump supporters for its lax approach to freedom of speech. After Amazon withdrew its computing services, the social networking site went dark. Apple and Google have previously removed Parler from their app stores. Parler said that he is looking for a way to get back online.
This is a developing story and will be updated.