A US border guards officer is being re-indicted in the alleged first indictment of a border guard carrying a deadly shootout across the border.
Agent Lonnie Swartz was previously acquitted of second-degree murder in 2012 homicide Young Mexican teenager Jose Antonio Elena Rodriguez and jurors have been arrested to a lesser degree. On Friday, prosecutors in Tucson, Arizona, said Swartz is now being charged with involuntary and involuntary manslaughter, said Cosme Lopez, a spokesman for Luis Parra, a lawyer for the teenager's family, said he was with them in the 1965 Courtroom when the decision on the retrial was announced.
The teenager the authorities say he threw rocks He was killed on a road south of the US border in Nogales, Mexico.
"I am relieved and very grateful for the efforts" of the US Attorney's Office, said Elena Rodriguez's grandfather.
Activists called for retrial when they gathered in front of the US District Court building before the hearing.
Lee Learned, Attorney at the American Civil Rights Union in New York and Deputy Director of the Group's "Immigrants Rights" Project said the decision to try the case again should not affect the civil suit.
The jurors in the first trial last month declared a miscarriage after acquitting Swartz of murder and arresting them in voluntary and involuntary manslaughter
Elena Rodriguez was killed when Swartz made 16 shots through a 20-foot fence An embankment fired over Calle Internacional, a Nogales street with houses and small shops.
Prosecutors confirmed during the one-month trial Teenager was rushing across the border during a drug smuggling, but said he did not deserve to die.
Defense lawyers countered that Swartz was entitled to use Let (19659005) According to court records, the new trial is scheduled to take place before Judge Rainer Collins on 23 October and is scheduled to last four weeks.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.