Uttman Azaitar was released by the UFC for violating the COVID-19 safety regulations on the “Battle Island” of Abu Dhabi.
Azaitar was originally scheduled to fight Matt Frevola at UFC 257 on Saturday, but did not participate in the official weighing on Friday. The reason was unknown until the UFC announced that it “knows that Azzatar’s health and safety agreement was recently violated”, which led to his round being cancelled.
UFC Chairman Dana White told Farah Hannoun of MMA Junkie that Azaitar was cut because of what he did and provided details of what happened.
White said: “He and his team cut off the wristband and handed it to someone outside, alone.”
UFC confirmed that Azaitar had withdrawn from the safe area of ”Battle Island.”
The 30-year-old Azaitar remains unbeaten 13-0. He performed well in the UFC competition. In the first two games with promotion, Teemu Packalen and Khama Worthy scored in the first round of the back-to-back knockouts, the latter held in September last year.