Authorities announced on Friday that a 95-year-old man from a Nazi concentration camp was deported from the United States to Germany during the Second World War. The Justice Department said that Friedrich Karl Berger, who lived in Tennessee, was deported for participating in the persecution initiated by the Nazis while serving in a concentration camp in 1945.
Acting Attorney General Monty Wilkinson (Monty Wilkinson) said in a statement that Berger’s removal from the United States demonstrates that the department is “committed to ensuring that the United States is not involved in Nazi crimes against humanity and other human rights violations. A safe haven for people”
“In this year, we will Wilkinson went on to say that on the 75th anniversary of Nuremberg’s conviction, the case shows that even decades of death will not prevent the ministry from seeking justice on behalf of the victims of Nazi crimes.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) said Berger was the 70th Nazi persecutor determined to be repatriated from the United States.
A trial in 2020 found that during the Holocaust, Berger served in the Nazi regime at the Neuengamme sub-camp near Meppen, Germany. The judge presiding over the 2020 case said that the Maypen prisoners were held in the camp in the winter of 1945, many of whom were Jewish, Russian, Dutch and Polish. According to the Ministry of Justice, prisoners were forced to work outdoors, exhausted and died.
According to the Hamburg Memorial and Learning Center Foundation, prisoners in the Maypen camp were forced to build a so-called “french fries wall” to protect the northern coast of Germany. The foundation said that on the day of the evacuation of the camp, 1,773 people were held in the camp.
Berger worked in the camp until the Nazis withdrew from the camp in March 1945, when the prisoners were forced to go to the main camp in New Gnam. According to the Ministry of Justice, the two-week transfer was carried out under “inhumane conditions” and 70 people who were imprisoned died in the process.
US officials said that Berger admitted during the trial that he protected the prisoners and prevented them from escaping. He also admitted that he had never asked to leave the concentration camp guard position.
The Ministry of Justice said that so far, Berger has received a pension from Germany for his past work in Germany (including “war service”).
According to the Ministry of Justice, he was removed from office under the Holtzman Amendment in 1978 because he was “willing to serve as an armed guard for prisoners in persecuted concentration camps.”
Acting Director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Ty Johnson, said the department “will never continue to pursue those who persecute others.”
Johnson said: “This case demonstrates the unwavering dedication of ICE and the Department of Justice, their pursuit of justice and relentless pursuit of those who participated in one of the greatest atrocities in history, no matter how long it takes.”