A person injected himself with “tea” made of magic mushrooms and was hospitalized, and the fungus began to grow in his blood vessels.
In a case report published in the Journal of Counseling College Liaison Psychiatry, the doctor described a 30-year-old man who, for anonymous purposes, was called “Mr. X”, who tried to develop opioid dependence and depression Self-medication for symptoms. When his family took him to the emergency room, the doctor first realized this. His family was worried about his confusion.
The family reported that he recently stopped taking prescription drugs for type I bipolar disorder and that he has since started to swing between depression and mania. It was during this period that he began to study the therapeutic effects of micro-dose LSD and psilocybin (a natural psychedelic drug produced by more than 200 mushrooms).
In many trials, it has been shown that the compound psilocybin can have therapeutic effects, including alleviating major depression, as well as anxiety and existential worries for terminally ill patients. However, all of these are carried out in controlled trials of oral drugs. Mr. X obtained magic mushrooms and prepared what he called “mushroom tea”
Drinking mushroom tea is a method used by some recreational people. However, Mr. X took the unusual step of drawing the medicine through a cotton thread in preparation for injection before injecting it into his vein.
After the injection, he began to have many problems. When his family found him a few days later, he was suffering from jaundice, nausea, diarrhea, extreme confusion, and vomiting blood. His organs began to fail, including kidneys and lungs, and he suffered acute liver damage. His heart rate is accelerating and he is suffering from septic shock. Essentially, in any case, the situation looked bad and he was placed in the intensive care unit (ICU).
The blood clot formed in his blood needs investigation and treatment. In the most heartbreaking part of the case study, the research team described how they extracted cultures from his blood and found that “the mushroom species he injected is now growing in his blood.”
Taking into account other problems that occurred in his body at the time, it is not clear whether the fungus growing in his blood may have caused his confusion.
“It is not clear whether there are psychoactive fungi in active intravascular infections, such as Cubic bacteria Ingestion of the same species may cause sustained psychological effects, which may further lead to changes in perception and cognition. “In an unspecified way.