Tehran admitted on Wednesday that an Iranian ship, believed to be the base of the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard Corps, had been anchored near the Red Sea in Yemen for many years, and that the ship had been attacked. Tehran admitted on Wednesday.
The Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that the attack on MV Saviz was suspected to be carried out by Israel, although Tehran did not immediately blame it on its regional enemy. At the time of the attack, Iran and the world’s major powers met in Vienna for the first talks about the United States’ possible rejoining of a cumbersome agreement aimed at curbing Iran’s nuclear program, indicating that events outside the negotiations may derail these efforts.
Western and United Nations experts claim that Iran has provided weapons and support to the Houthis in Yemen during the country’s years of war. The ship’s long-term presence in the region has been repeatedly criticized by Saudi Arabia. Iran denies the post-armed Huss, although the parts found in the rebel weapons are linked to Tehran.
Iran previously described Savez as assisting “anti-piracy”
Iranian tanks smashed 3 million barrels of crude oil on Syria, which is a contempt for US sanction
Khatibzad said: “Fortunately, there are no reports of casualties… and a technical investigation is underway.” “Our country will take all necessary measures through the international authorities.”
In an earlier national television statement, a crew member cited a New York Times report that quoted an anonymous American official telling the newspaper that Israel informed the United States that it had attacked the ship on Tuesday morning. When the Associated Press contacted the owner of Savez, Israeli officials declined to comment on the attack.
Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz declined to say whether Israel had launched an attack, but said Iran and its regional allies were the main threat.
Gantz told reporters: “Israel must continue to defend itself.” “Anywhere, if we find operational challenges and necessity, we will continue to take action.”
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called the Vienna talks a “success” in a speech to his cabinet on Wednesday.
He said: “Today, there is a joint statement saying that all aspects of the nuclear agreement have concluded that there is no better solution than the agreement.”
The United States, Iran will start indirect nuclear dialogue in Vienna
Iran’s semi-official Tasnim News Agency (which is believed to be closely related to the Guard) reported that a limpet planted on the hull of Saviz caused the explosion. A limpet mine is a naval mine, usually attached to the side of the ship by a diver. It exploded later and could severely damage the ship. Iran did not blame anyone for the attack and said Iranian officials may provide more information in the coming days.
The U.S. Military Central Command only stated in a statement that it “was aware of media coverage of the Red Sea Savez incident.”
The command said: “We can confirm that no U.S. military was involved in this incident.” “We have no other information to provide.”
According to the ship tracking data, Saviz owned by the shipping company of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which is linked to the country, came to the Red Sea at the end of 2016. In the years since, it has drifted to a series of islands off the coast of the African nation of Eritrea-the Dalrak Archipelago. It may have been resupplied and changed crews through the passage of Iranian ships passing by waterways.
Earlier briefing materials obtained by the Associated Press from the Saudi military showed that the crew on the ship was fatigued in military uniform and there was a small boat capable of transporting goods to the coast of Yemen. The materials also include pictures that show various antennas on the ship, which the Saudi government describes as unusual as a commercial cargo ship, which indicates that the ship is under electronic surveillance. Other images show that the ship is equipped with a stand for a .50 caliber machine gun.
Former prosecutor: BIDEN ADMIN’Hell-Bent’ rejoins Iran’s nuclear deal
The Washington Institute for Near East Policy calls Saviz the “Iranian mothership” in the region, and also describes it as an intelligence gathering base and guard armoury. The institute’s policy documents do not explain how they reached this conclusion, although the institute’s analysts usually have access to military sources in the Gulf and Israel.
Before Iran reached a nuclear agreement with world powers in 2015, Savez had been subject to international sanctions, which allowed Tehran to obtain relief from sanctions in exchange for restricting its uranium enrichment. The Trump administration subsequently imposed sanctions on Saviz in the United States as part of its unilateral withdrawal from the agreement.
In June 2019, after Tehran requested assistance through the United Nations, Saudi Arabia fled a critically ill patient from Saviz.
In the wider tension between the United States and Iran, a series of mysterious bombings attacked ships in the area, including some ships that the U.S. Navy accused Iran of. Netanyahu blamed the attack on Iran, one of the ships recently destroyed by Israel. The other is an Iranian cargo ship in the Mediterranean.
Click here for the FOX News App
Iran also blamed Israel for a series of recent attacks, including a mysterious explosion in July that destroyed the advanced centrifuge assembly plant at its Natanz nuclear facility. The other was the killing of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, Iran’s top scientist in November, who founded the Islamic Republic’s military nuclear program 20 years ago.