Each product here is selected independently by Mashable Journalists. If you buy something special, we may earn an affiliate commission that supports our work.
Nobody likes to deal with a broken phone. But in some cases, a damaged phone can lead to something much more serious than a simple inconvenience.
This is apparently the case in a telephone repair shop in Las Vegas, Nevada, where allegedly an iPhone has exploded and caught fire. The entire incident was recorded on a surveillance video first reported by the ABC subsidiary KTNV.
The video shows a worker sitting at a desk when suddenly an object on his desk explodes and catches fire. The exact source of the explosion is hard to spot in the video, but KTNV reports that it was an iPhone 6S.
It's not the first time that an iPhone explodes and catches fire.
As we noted before, the fact is no phone is explosion proof. Lithium ion batteries are prone to burns if they are damaged or broken. And while we do not have much details about this particular phone, we know it was in the middle of a repair. It is quite possible that the battery has been damaged before or during the repair process. (ABC did not identify the store where the incident took place, so we can not independently review the video.)
Another potential culprit could be heat damage. Prolonged exposure to high temperatures (as is common in Las Vegas) can cause long-term damage to your phone's battery. Anyway, the incident serves as a good reminder of what can happen if you do not take care of your phone.