Researchers in Georgia state that an amoeba that an elderly gardener ate in the brain died of soil. The amoeba turned part of its frontal lobe into a mushy liquid.
According to a case study, it is believed that the 82-year-old man was infected with a metamorphosis while potting plants in an unknown place and was later hit by a seizure. The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine this week.
Researchers at Emory University in Atlanta said that the man first received treatment for bacterial, fungal and viral meningitis before he was drowsy and had a seizure. He died nine days after admission.
The autopsy showed that the amoeba turned part of the person̵
According to reports, the cause of his death was ultimately a rare brain and spinal cord infection, usually caused by Acanthamoeba species.
The patient had previously had blood cancer, but it has been in remission for more than ten years.
The CDC stated that Acanthamoeba infection in the eye can cause permanent damage to vision and blindness. However, most people with a normal immune system will be exposed to this disease at some point in their lives without getting sick.