Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said at a press conference on Thursday: “In this terrible massacre, a young boy is trying to save him and seems to have died in the arms of his mother. In.” Under investigation.
Lieutenant Jennifer Amat, a spokesperson for the Orange Police Department, said at a press conference on Thursday: “The initial motive is believed to be related to the commercial and personal relationships that exist between the suspect and all victims.”
She said: “This is not violence.”
Amat said that at about 5:34 in the afternoon, there were five 911 calls. About two minutes later, the police officer was in a complex 30 miles south of Los Angeles.
When they arrived, they heard gunfire inside, but they could not enter immediately. Amat said that the door from the inside to the main door has been locked, “using bicycle-style cable locks.”
Police officials said it was not clear whether they wanted to keep the victim inside or the police outside.
What did the police find when they entered
After negotiating with the suspect and shooting, the police were able to enter the yard, found the injured suspect and detained him. The police had previously stated that it was unclear whether his injuries were self-injured.
In the yard, the police also found surviving boys and adult women. Amat said she was taken to a local hospital in a critical but stable condition.
Police officers found three other victims elsewhere in the complex. A woman was landing outside and found a man in one office building and another woman in another office building.
Amat said that some of the victims’ suites were found to belong to a company called “Unified Housing”, a real estate company specializing in mobile homes.
Investigators found a semi-automatic pistol and a backpack containing pepper spray, handcuffs and ammunition, which the authorities believed to be the suspect.
Amat did not identify the victims, saying that the notification of relatives has not yet been completed. She said there were two women among the dead, a man and a nine-year-old boy.
The police identified the suspect as 44-year-old Aminadab Gaxiola Gonzalez. Amat said he is currently in a critical condition but is still in a local hospital.
CNN is working to determine whether Gonzalez is represented by a lawyer who will comment on his behalf.
It is believed that Gonzalez had been living in a motel in Anaheim. He took a taxi to the complex and parked it in many places nearby, Amat said.
She added that a preliminary investigation by law enforcement officers concluded that the suspect used a legally purchased gun.
Authorities are still completing the investigation at the scene on Thursday.
Spitzer said that investigators are here for two reasons: investigating mass shootings and shootings involving military officers to ensure objectivity and transparency.
Spitzer emphasized that according to the suspect, the suspect is eligible for the death penalty under California law because there are multiple victims.
Spitzer said that prosecutors are also investigating whether the fact that the door is locked constitutes “waiting”. This special situation will also make the suspect eligible for the death penalty.
Spitzer said that during his tenure, he has reviewed nearly 20 murders to understand whether the death penalty should be executed, but he has never filed any death penalty cases.
He said: “Require the jury to make a verdict on death is the most serious consequence. This is the only consequence of the jury’s decision relative to the judge.”
CNN’s Holly Yan, Alexandra Meeks and Joe Sutton contributed to this report.