Both US and Iranian officials stated that the attack on an Iranian ship believed to be used by Iran’s elite military forces near Saudi-Yemeni waters on Tuesday was an apparent escalation of the conflict between Iran and its enemies in the region.
Officials said that US officials and others in the area believed that the attack on Sawiz was used by the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps to gather intelligence and was attacked in the Red Sea on Tuesday. The attack took place as international negotiations to restore the nuclear agreement between Iran and the United States began in Vienna.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the attack last month occurred in the past 18 months, when Israel has been targeting ships carrying fuel and weapons from Iran to Syria. According to the “Wall Street Journal”
It is not clear who attacked Savez. Israeli officials declined to comment.
A Pentagon spokeswoman said: “We know that the media has reported an incident involving the Red Sea Saviz incident.” “We can confirm that no U.S. military was involved in this incident. We have no other information to provide.”