Luke Hanoman, 28, knew it was a bad habit to bite his nails, but he never realized it could kill him.
"It was a nervous thing," said the two-time father from Southport, UK. "And one day I bit the skin on the side of my nail, it hurt a bit, but I did not think anything of it."
In the following days, Hanoman went on to work, although he had flu-like symptoms and his finger was swollen.
"I started to get really funny and I could not concentrate," he told the release.
When he accidentally went to sleep until 2 pm On his day off, his mother took him to a hospital with red lines all over his body, Hanoman said to the sun. The doctors diagnosed sepsis because of his infected finger injury and told him he could have died.
"It was pretty scary," he told the publication. "They told me I was lucky to make it that long, I was close to septic shock."
Sepsis is a massive immune system response to infection that, if left unchecked, leads to tissue damage, organ failure and death, reports the sepsis alliance. Each year, more than 1
It is the leading cause of death in people who are already in hospital, according to the organization.
Symptoms include tremor, fever, chills, pain, pale or discolored skin, sleep, lethargy, and shortness of breath, according to the Sepsis Alliance
"Waiting too long is dangerous," Dr. Steven Simpson, the medical director of the sepsis alliance Buzzfeed News .. "If you have these types of symptoms, people need to seek medical help."
Hanoman spent four days in the hospital recovering from the infection in July.
"I did not know anything about sepsis before" "I think it's important that people know that it can meet anyone at any age."
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests cutting your nails short or using bitter-tasting nail polish, along with wit h other tips.