Three people familiar with the matter told Axios that President Trump’s newly appointed Pentagon agent is hiring a senior adviser, a sign that the government hopes to speed up the withdrawal of US troops from the Middle East before the end of the presidency in January.
Why it matters: A senior government official said that a shot was fired at the Pentagon and Leiter was hired. Army Colonel Douglas Macgregor (Douglas Macgregor) solved Trump’s personal problems to some extent-but senior White House officials also made it clear: “They want them to talk more openly about leaving Afghanistan before the end of this year.”
- Another senior government official said that Trump campaigned in 201
- The President has repeatedly told his advisers that he hopes to return from Afghanistan before Christmas.
In an interview with Fox’s Tucker Carlson in 2019, McGregor stated that he would advise the president to leave Afghanistan “as soon as possible”, including removing the US embassy from Kabul, and that dialogue with the Taliban is unnecessary.
- McGregor also said that the United States needs to immediately withdraw its troops from Syria, where the United States has no national interest.
- He said: “We need to listen to the Iranians very seriously…find out their interests and find areas where we can cooperate.” The United States needs to “change its control over Iran. [Korean] The peninsula was transferred militarily to President Moon and the Koreans. “
What are they talking about: The Pentagon confirmed in a statement to Axios that McGregor has been appointed as a senior adviser to Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller. It said McGregor’s “decades of military experience will be used to assist in the continued implementation of the president’s national security priorities.”
Big picture: Since Biden became president-elect, Trump has consistently refused to recognize the game-but he also quickly moved this week to fire senior officials at the Pentagon’s civilian leadership.
- These include Mark Esper and the former chief of staff of the Secretary of Defense and other senior officials responsible for intelligence and policy.
- He replaced them with those who were loyal to him.
detail: Macgregor, a well-decorated combat veteran, is a loyal Trump supporter and regular commentator on Fox News. He is known for questioning conventional Army leadership and decision-making, including strategies in Iraq and Afghanistan, and extreme remarks about Muslims and undocumented immigrants.
- According to reports, Esper was worried about him and he was appointed to the highest policy position in the Pentagon.
- McGregor announced in the summer that Trump had selected the US ambassador to Germany. He criticized the EU and Germany for overly welcoming “Muslim invaders.”
- According to the CNN report, McGregor advocated the imposition of martial law at the US-Mexico border and the use of lethal force to stop illegal immigration.In a blog post in 2016, he also wrote: “Once it’s obvious, Central Americans and Mexicans [and other illegals], They will not be immune to the fate of entering the United States. If they are rejected rather than killed in an attempt to violate the borders of US sovereignty, they will be lucky, and this flow will be greatly reduced. “