Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross, defending World Series champion Washington Nationals, and Mike Leake of the Arizona Diamondbacks chose to withdraw from 2020 due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic Major League Baseball season. Scheduled this season.
Zimmerman said on Monday: “After careful consideration and taking into account my family situation, three children, including a newborn and a mother, are at high risk and I decided not to participate in the 2020 season.” In a statement. Zimmerman expressed regret that he would not be able to try to win consecutive championships, but he said it was “the best decision for me and my family.”
When Zimmerman wrote for The Associated Press last week, he also raised the same concerns when weighing his decisions.
“I have a 3-week-old baby. My mother has multiple sclerosis and is very dangerous; if I end up playing games, I can hardly watch her until a few weeks after the end of the season.” wrote.
The 35-year-old first baseman added in a statement on Monday: “It is clear that I am not currently retired.” “I have not decided to participate in the future of baseball after 2020. But this year, I will stay at home. Be safe and make every effort to let these people defend our championship.”
National General Manager Mike Rizzo Said in the statement Both Zimmermann and Ross “decided not to participate in the 2020 season because of the personal health and safety of themselves and their loved ones.”
Rizzo added: “We 100% support their decision not to participate in this year.” “We will miss their presence in the clubhouse and their contribution on the court.”
The 27-year-old Rose is expected to compete for a place in the starting rotation of the national team this season.
Mike Leake, a 32-year-old Rattlesnake pitcher, also announced his intention to participate in 2020 on Monday. Before Leake announced on Monday, the Rattlesnake posted their 60 roster, This is where Leake is.
Leake’s agent said: “During this global pandemic, Mike and his family had a lot of discussion about this season’s game.” Said in a statement on Monday. “They considered countless factors, many of which were personal to him and his family. After careful consideration, he chose to withdraw from the game in 2020. For Mike, this is not an easy decision. He wishes you Good luck and his teammates of the Rattlesnake this season are in good health, and he looks forward to 2021.”
As part of the Major League Baseball’s planned 60-game season, players who are considered “high-risk” by themselves can choose to withdraw from the 2020 season, but they can still be counted in service hours and the salary for that season will be proportionally distributed. Players who are not high-risk but have pregnant wives or high-risk family members can also opt out, but they will lose their wages and hours of service.
None of the three players who opted out on Monday were high-risk players.