The story of Washington Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman is intertwined. The franchise was relocated from Montreal (they called the World Expo) in 2005, and in the same year, they chose Zimmerman to the university. At the end of that season, he entered the major leagues and has been with them ever since, experiencing a low-income season franchise, their renaissance, and the title of the first World Series championship last year.
However, the coronavirus pandemic has ended this trend-or at least stopped it. Zimmerman announced on Monday that he will withdraw from the 2020 Major League Baseball season that will begin on July 23. He became the best player and joined his teammate Joe Rose, his former teammate Ian Desmond, Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks Mike Leake They also announced their retirement on Monday, which is just days before the second spring training.
First baseman Zimmerman said in a statement issued by the agent: “I can’t speak for others, but given the unusual nature of this season, this is the best decision for me and my family .” The organization’s understanding and support. “
According to the regulations agreed by M.L.B. As well as the player union, any player can choose to withdraw from the 2020 season, which will last for 60 games. However, only those who have a higher risk of developing coronavirus because of their medical history can opt out, and get paid and service time.
Zimmermann could have distributed wages proportionally in this shorter season, with an annual salary of $740,000. He said in the statement that he had made a “deliberate” decision and cited his family situation-he had 3 children, including one month old. The son and his mother were diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1995.
He said: “Everyone knows what it means to be part of a team, and this year I will miss the same-minded person very much.”
Throughout the winter, 35-year-old Zimmerman renewed the Nationals for a year and spent $2 million. He has earned more than $133 million in his 15-year career. He said on Monday that he “is not currently retiring.”
Ross, 27, is a right-handed pitcher. He has the opportunity to rotate the Nationals. He is entering his sixth season at the club. He is expected to distribute approximately $555,000 in salary.
National Team General Manager Mike Rizzo said in a statement issued by the group that Ross and Zimmerman “choose for withdrawal” for the personal health and safety of themselves and their loved ones, and said the club “one percent “One hundred” supports their decision.
Desmond, 34, was a Zimmerman teammate in 2009-15 and won three silver medals. A heartfelt statement on Instagram later on Monday explained his growth, the racism he faced as a mixed-race man, and the decline in the accessibility of baseball and his family. Desmond is an outfielder who should have been allocated a salary of $5.6 million proportionally, but he wrote that he was not satisfied with the health risks of playing baseball this season.
He wrote: “There is a pregnant wife and four children who have a lot of questions about what is happening in the world, and now I need to be at home.” “It is my wife’s Chelsea’s home. Home for help. Home guidance . Here I answer my three big boys’ questions about coronavirus and civil rights and life. Become their father’s home.”
Leake, 32 years old, was the first M.L.B. player to disclose his intention to quit. In his 11th major league season, Leake should pay a proportional salary of about $5.6 million. His contract also requires a mutual recognition of $18 million or a buyout of $5 million in the 2021 season.
“It’s not an easy decision for Mike,” Leake’s agent Danny Horwits Said in the statement. Horwits also said that Leake and his family had “multiple discussions” about this season’s game, and they considered “numerous factors, many of which are personal to him and his family.”
Dusty Baker, the 71-year-old Houston Astros manager, is at M.L.B. and Committed to managing this season. But he has admitted that he and his coaches (three of whom are over 62 years old) face greater danger during the pandemic.
On Monday, the Minnesota twins re-appointed two high-risk major league coaches, 68-year-old Bob McClure and 66-year-old Bill Evers, after examining the health history of their employees.
Twins manager Rocco Baldelli told reporters: “Making a decision is as difficult as you are in a baseball game.” “Both people want to be part of this season, and they both feel very much to hear this news. Disappointed, but both people know that this is correct and safe.”
Twins officials told reporters that McClure and Evers will receive full salaries, but will hold other positions at home.