Cleveland, Ohio – 10-4 when the Browns faced the 1-13 New York Jets, my notebook was scribbled:
1. Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold are the top two QBs selected in the 2018 draft. Mayfield entered the Browns (Browns) ranked first, Darnold was selected third by the Jets. I forgot that the New York Giants chose Saquon Barkley in second place. Before the knee injury at the end of the season, running only played two games.
2. Three years later, people expressed great skepticism about Narnold as the first qualified NFL player. The Jets were 1
3. For jet fans, the shocking story is Darnold’s regression. In 2019, the Jets started with a record of 7 wins and 6 losses. He has 19 TD passes and 13 interceptions. The Jets have a 6-2 record in the second half of the 2019 season. This is a bit like what happened to Mayfield when the Browns were 5-3 in the second half of his rookie year (2018).
4. But in 2020, the jets will be 1-9, with Darnold as the starter. He has only 6 TD passes and 9 interceptions. At the same time, Mayfield soared in the third season: a record of 10-4, 25 TDs and 8 interceptions. He completed a career-high 64% pass rate.
5. Sometimes, this is the coach’s problem. Kevin Stefanski (Kevin Stefanski) and offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt (Alex Van Pelt) changed some of Mayfield’s throwing techniques. They established a strong offensive line and game rules.
6. Van Pelt’s views on Mayfield and the coach: “It takes time… The more open he is to the coach, the more open our coach is to his thinking… If there is continuous communication, It will (generate) continuous trust. It can happen now… Baker is actually on the same page as the coaching staff… His performance is high.”
7. I’m talking to an NFL executive about Ryan Tannehill’s progress in Tennessee, which is almost the same as the offense that Brown uses now. The executive said: “That was a factor, but leaving Adam Gass did not hurt.”
8. Gasser is now the coach of the Jets. He was the head coach of Miami when Tannehill was with the Dolphins. Over the years, Gase was appointed as Brown’s head coach. He declined interviews twice. He has earned a reputation for cooperating with Peyton Manning. As a coach, he had a winning season (10-6 in 2016). His overall record is 31-47.
9. In order to treat Gase fairly, Tannehill is under the leadership of Joe Philbin (2012-15) and Gase (2016-18). His overall record in Miami is 42-46, while the Titans are 17-7. But as far as Van Pelt (Van Pelt) is concerned, the combination of good communication and trust between the coach and QB and the right system is how to determine whether QB is the right person.
10. Due to all the coaching changes and the front desk’s sense of belonging and patience with Brown, it is difficult for all QBs to build trust. Last week, I wrote a column on how Mayfield mentioned his first meeting with General Motors Andrew Berry and Stefansky, and how the two were on the same page. Mayfield said: “This is new to me.”
11. Brown and his fans can evaluate Mayfield. This was not the case during the chaotic 2019 season. Stefanski is Mayfield’s fourth coach in three NFL seasons. Stefanski, his staff and Berry brought peace and purpose to the team. Dano is not in New York yet.
12. Gas at Mayfield: “What helped him was that their running performance was as good as this season. He did a great job in action games. I think he and Jarrevis (Landry) The connection is very good now… they have made a good attempt, just trying to get everyone involved… these offensive passes are a cruel defense of the defenders’ attempts.”
13. At the same time, Darnold was drafted by general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles. Both were fired after Darnold’s rookie. Gase hired him and it is said that he is not a big fan of Darnold in the draft. Not sure if this is true, but these rumors occurred while guiding change.
14. My opinion of Darnold in the 2018 draft was not high. But then again, I love Josh Rosen. Here are my top five QBs: 1) Rosen. 2) Josh Allen. 3) Mayfield. 4) Darnold. 5) Lamar Jackson. Rosen has just been asked to leave by the San Francisco Tampa Bay practice team. He is the worst of the five, which shows what I know.
15. Stefanski said on Darnold: “He is very, very athletic, can move, and can throw to all areas of the field. When he takes out his pocket, whether it is design or design, he has very good skills. In the battle, it is difficult to gain a foothold. Once again, a very good athlete.”
16. Before defeating the Rams, the Jets beat 23-20 0-13. Darnold performed well, passing 207 yards on 22 of 31 yards. He has a TD pass with zero interceptions. The Jets have former Brown Breshad Perriman (Brown Breshad Perriman), who has 27 receptions, an average of 15.6 yards, and three TDs.
17. Stefanski included a wonderful video of the Rams victory. This is why Stefanski praised Darnold and Jets. The Browns have not played a “knock down” game throughout the season. All of their four losses were played by teams with impressive records. This is a sign of the maturity of the team.
18. My initial game of choice is Browns 27, Jets11. Then the “close contact” list showed that Browns did not have four recipients: Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, KhDarel Hodge and Donovan Peoples-Jones. They also don’t have guards BJ Goodson and Jacob Phillips. Don’t know how to choose it.
The most recent Terry Pluto column
How about this Christmas gift?Browns’ promising draft
Hey, Terry: Where’s the Cavaliers? Darius Garland? Collin Sexton?
The Cleveland State University basketball player scored 46 points. Who is D’Moi Hodge?
Brown won. Why do some fans feel pressured?
Can you say 10-4? Can you smell the playoffs?
Terry’s TALKIN’BROWNS: What’s missing from Odell Beckham’s discussion
Browns pre-match graffiti
When the Cavaliers prepare to start the season, many problems are looming
Looking back on last year, see how much the Browns have developed in 2020
New Browns masks for sale: Here you can buy adult and adolescent coronavirus protection masks with the theme of Cleveland Browns, including a single mask ($14.99) and 3 packs ($24.99). All NFL proceeds are donated to the CDC Foundation.