قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Pence argued: “Clearing the Capitol” is the timetable for the riots

Pence argued: “Clearing the Capitol” is the timetable for the riots

Washington (Associated Press)-January 6, when rioters attacked the police and destroyed the building, from a security room in the Capitol, Vice President Mike Pence tried to claim control. In an emergency call to the acting secretary of defense, he issued a shocking request.

Pence said: “Clear the Capitol.”

Elsewhere in the building, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made the same terrible appeal to military leaders for the Army to deploy the National Guard .

DN.Y. Schumer said desperately: “We need help.”


At the Pentagon, officials are discussing media reports that the chaos is not limited to Washington, other state capitals are also facing similar acts of violence, constituting a national uprising.

General Mark Millley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a phone call with the leaders of the Pentagon: “We must establish order.”

But the order will not be restored for several hours.

These new details about the deadly riot are contained in a previously undisclosed document for internal use by the Pentagon, which was obtained by the Associated Press and reviewed by current and former government officials.

The timeline adds another level of understanding of the state of fear and panic that occurred during the uprising, and reveals the inaction of then-President Donald Trump and how this gap caused the military and law enforcement agencies to respond slowly. It shows that the failure of the government to understand the scale and intensity of the violent uprisings of its citizens has overshadowed intelligence errors, tactical errors, and bureaucratic delays.

Not engaged to TrumpPentagon officials, a few senior White House aides, congressional leaders and the vice president were trapped in a safe bunker to manage the chaos.

Although the timetable helps to clarify the craziness of the crisis, the document and hours of testimony under oath only provide an incomplete picture of how the riots were carried out with such swift and deadly force that interrupted Joe Biden (Joe Biden). ) The Congress certifies the president and delays the peaceful transfer of power, which is a sign of American democracy.

Legislators protected by the National Guard will listen to the Congressional Police Inspector General The coming week.

“Any moment we are lost, I must know why,” Democratic Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar, the chairman of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee who is investigating the siege, said last month.

The timeline fills in some of these gaps.

At 4:08 pm on January 6, when the rioters roamed the Capitol, they threatened to call for Pelosi, California, and yelled to hang the penny, so the vice president called from a safe place. To Christopher.miller, Acting Secretary of Defense, demanding answers.

There is a highly public disagreement between Trump and Penny, and Trump is angry at his vice president’s refusal to stop the accreditation of the electoral college. Pence believes that violating this procedure is an unconstitutional act. The Constitution clearly stipulates that the role of the Vice President in this joint session of the Congress is mainly ceremonial.

Penny’s call to Miller lasted only one minute. Pence said that the Capitol is not safe and he asked military leaders for a deadline to ensure the safety of the building.

So far, the mob has overwhelmed the congressional police, and the police did not prepare for the uprising. Two hours have passed. The rioters broke into the building, occupied the Senate, and marched towards the House of Representatives. On their way, they left destruction and debris. Dozens of military officers were injured, and some were seriously injured.

Just three days ago, government leaders talked about the use of the National Guard. On the afternoon of January 3, when members of Congress were sworn to participate in the new session of Congress, Miller and Millley gathered with cabinet members to discuss the issue of January 6. They also met with Trump.

According to information obtained by the Associated Press, at the White House meeting, Trump approved the appointment of the Washington, DC National Guard and told the acting secretary of defense to take all necessary actions when the incident occurred.

On the second day, January 4, defense officials had a telephone conversation with cabinet members (including the acting attorney general) by telephone, and finalized the details of the guard deployment.

The role of the guard is limited to traffic intersections and checkpoints around the city, partly because of strict restrictions by district officials. Miller also authorized Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy (Ryan McCarthy) Deploy the DC Guard emergency response force at Joint Base Andrews when needed.

The Trump administration and the Pentagon are wary of the large military presence, partly because they criticize officials for facing the seemingly clumsy National Guard and law enforcement agencies After the police killed George Floyd (George Floyd) in Minneapolis, they made efforts to deal with the civil unrest.

In particular, during these demonstrations, the DC guards used helicopters to hover over the crowds in downtown Washington, which aroused widespread criticism. This unauthorized move prompted the Pentagon to more strictly control DC Guard.

“In the spring, a lot of things happened and the department was criticized,” Robert SalessesThe Assistant Secretary of Defense for Homeland Defense and Global Security Affairs said at a congressional hearing last month.

On the eve of Trump’s rally near the White House on January 6, the first 255 National Guard troops arrived in the area. Mayor Muriel Bowser in a letter to the government Confirmed that no other military support is required.

Until the morning of January 6Before Trump’s speech, the crowd began to gather in the oval square. According to the Pentagon’s plan, the acting secretary of defense will be notified only when the crowd swells to more than 20,000.

Soon after, it became clear that the masses controlled the incident far better than the army and law enforcement agencies that maintained order.

Trump was speaking before noon, and he told his supporters to go to the Capitol. The crowd at the rally was at least 10,000. By 1:15 pm, the parade had arrived there smoothly.

When the protesters arrived on the grounds of the Capitol, some people immediately became violent, crossing the weak police barrier in front of the building and beating the policemen who were blocking the road.

At 1:49 pm, as the violence escalated, the then Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund (Steven Sund) Major General William WalkerThe commander of the National Guard of the SAR requested assistance.

Ward later told the Senate committee that Sander’s voice was “full of shock.” Walker immediately called the army leaders to inform them of this request.

Twenty minutes later, at about 2:10 pm, the first rioters began to break through the doors and windows of the Senate. Then, they began to march in the marble hall, looking for members who were counting the electoral votes. The sirens in the building declared a blockade.

Sander called Walker frantically again and asked at least 200 guards to “and send more people when available.”

But even with cabinet-level senior preparations, no help was immediately taken.

In the next 20 minutes, when the senator ran to safety, the rioters broke into the chamber and skimmed over the table. Secretary of War McCarthy talked with the mayor and Pentagon leaders on Sander’s request.

On the E ring on the third floor of the Pentagon, senior army leaders huddled around the phone because they were talking about a “panic” call from DC Guard. As the severity of the situation became clear, McCarthy withdrew from the meeting, sprinted the hall to Miller’s office, and had a meeting.

As time passed, the mob broke into other entrances of the Capitol and entered the House of Representatives. They broke the glass of the door leading to the conference hall and tried to enter because a group of parliamentarians were still trapped inside.

At 2:25 in the afternoon, McCarthy told his staff that he was going to move the emergency response force to the Capitol. The troops may be ready to move within 20 minutes.

At 2:44 pm, Trump’s supporter Ashli ​​Babbitt was fatally shot by congressional police When she tried to climb the window leading to the floor of the house.

Shortly after 3 pm, McCarthy provided “verbal approval” to activate 1,100 National Guard soldiers to support the DC police and develop a plan for the deployment of troops, location, and unit size.

A few minutes later, the guard’s emergency response force left Joint Base Andrews and headed to the DC Armory. Once the Acting Secretary of Defense Miller finally approves, they will be there to prepare for the Capitol.

At the same time, the Joint Staff has set up a video conference call, which is open until about 10 pm that night, so that the staff can quickly communicate any latest developments to the military leaders.

At 3:19 pm, Pelosi and Schumer are calling The Pentagon asked for help and was told that the National Guard had been approved.

However, as the Army and Guards gathered all troops from the checkpoints, sent them new equipment, formulated new plans for their missions and informed them of their responsibilities, the military and law enforcement leaders responded within the next 90 minutes. Struggle to implement the plan.

The guard was only prepared for the battle. Army leaders argued that to plunge them into a turbulent combat environment, additional instructions are needed to ensure their and the public’s safety.

The Pentagon dispatched its own security forces before 3:37 pm to guard the homes of defense leaders. No troops have reached the Capitol yet.

By 3:44 pm, congressional leaders escalated their petition.

Schumer used the acronym of the President of the United States to plead with officials: “Tell POTUS to tweet that everyone should leave.” House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, Maryland, asked about the call for active military personnel.

At 3:48 pm, frustrated that the DC Guard had not yet fully developed a plan to contact the police, the Secretary of the Army rushed from the Pentagon to the Washington DC Police Headquarters to assist in coordination with law enforcement agencies.

Trump broke his silence at 4:17 pm and tweeted his followers to “go home for peace”.

By about 4:30 in the afternoon, the military plan was finalized and Walker was allowed to send the guards to the Capitol. Reports of state capital destroyed elsewhere have proved to be forged.

At about 4:40 in the afternoon, Pelosi and Schumer once again had a phone call with Millley and the leaders of the Pentagon, asking Miller to fix the periphery.

But this quarrel has become more and more obvious.

The timeline said that during the conference call, congressional leadership “accused the national security agency of knowing that the protesters were planning an attack on the Capitol.”

The call lasts 30 minutes. Pelosi’s spokesperson admitted that there was a brief discussion of the apparent intelligence glitches that led to the riots.

In another hour, the first 155 guards will arrive at the Capitol.They were wearing riot suits and arrived at 5:20 pm

They started to disperse the rioters, but the number of arrests was small (if any).By the police

At 8 pm, the Capitol was declared safe.


Associated Press writers Michael Balsamo in New York, Nomaan Merchant in Houston, Mary Clare Jalonick, Jill Colvin, Eric Tucker, Zeke Miller and Colleen Long contributed to this report.

Source link