CEO John Matze told Reuters in an interview on Wednesday that Parler may never recover from the bans imposed by Amazon and many other technology companies.
In a conversation, he said: “I am an optimist. It may take a few days, it may take a few weeks, but Parler will come back, and when we do, we will become stronger.”
But at another point in the conversation, he admitted: “Probably never. We don’t know yet.”
Last weekend, both Google and Apple removed Parler from their app stores. Soon thereafter, Amazon removed Parler from Amazon Web Services hosting the site. It’s not just Amazon. In an interview with Fox News on Sunday, Matze said: “From the SMS service to the email provider to our lawyers, every supplier has abandoned us. Since then, Parler has been offline.
Tech companies are worried because Parler has become a gathering place for the kind of right-wing extremists who planned to launch a violent attack on the U.S. Capitol last week. Amazon said that it warned Paller for months about violent content hosted on the site, which, for example, called for “rape, torture and assassination of designated public officials and private citizens.”
After Amazon started Parler from AWS, Parler sued Amazon. Parler claimed that the merger was part of an anti-competitive conspiracy aimed at enhancing Twitter’s dominance. But as Amazon pointed out in its response, Amazon did not host Twitter feeds, and the two companies did not communicate with Parler.
As multiple services abandon Parler at the same time, it may take a while for Parler’s engineers to use different vendors to rebuild services. Even if they can do this, they may be hindered by the bans from Apple and Google because they have no easy way to distribute mobile applications to users.