The new order will take effect on Thursday and will apply to Toronto and Ottawa. This is the second such incident since the pandemic began.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford said at a press conference in Toronto on Tuesday: “I stood here last week to tell you that our province is in crisis.” “The facts are clear: since the pandemic began, there have been cases. And the death toll is the highest, and community spread continues to escalate.”
The Ontario government will “require everyone to stay at home for at least four weeks, but there must be exceptions, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, getting health services, exercising, or doing basic work.” Statement provided to CNN.
Since Christmas, Ontario and the City of Toronto have closed all unnecessary retail stores and eating places since the end of November. Schools in Ontario’s hot spots, including Toronto and its suburbs, will not resume face-to-face learning until February 1
Christine Elliott, Ontario’s Minister of Health, said: “We have to change the way we move. Too many people are exposed to too much. Increased mobility will increase contact.” “So to break this cycle, You must stay at home as much as possible, and this must first be kept in order at home.”
Officials promised to strictly enforce the new regulations and warned that anyone who violates the regulations will be fined thousands of dollars and could face up to one year in prison.
Ontario ICU is close to capacity
According to data from the Public Health Agency of Canada, the second Covid-19 epidemic in Canada is now broader and more serious than the first. There are an average of 8,100 new cases a day across the country for seven days. This is a pandemic.
Ontario public health officials warned at a press conference on Tuesday that one out of every four intensive care units in Ontario is already full and that the hospital system is facing an overwhelming threat.
Ontario has reported 14 new variants, but officials said that more disturbingly, 3 cases unrelated to travel were discovered this week, which may indicate that the variant has spread in the community.
Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Deputy Chief Medical Officer of the Ontario Ministry of Health, said: “We have 3 cases without a history of travel.” “If confirmed, we will have evidence of community transmission, which will make people very worried that the vaccine will not be resolved quickly enough .”
Earlier on Tuesday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that his government would purchase another 20 million doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, adding that Canada will have at least 80 million doses of vaccine available by the fall. Canada is also currently administering the Moderna vaccine.
Trudeau reiterated his commitment that every Canadian who wants to get the vaccine will get the vaccine by September.
Trudeau said at a press conference in Ottawa on Tuesday: “We are doing everything we can to increase the dose to speed up the process.” “Because we know that the sooner we vaccinate as many Canadians as possible, we will The sooner we get past this epidemic.”
CNN’s Elizabeth Hartfield contributed to this report.