قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / No lawsuit against the Rochester police involved in the death of Daniel Prudd

No lawsuit against the Rochester police involved in the death of Daniel Prudd



No charges will be raised for the death of Daniel Prude, a New York man. He was fixed to the ground with a sandbag on the camera lens of the policeman.

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Tuesday that a grand jury voted not to prosecute any Rochester police officers involved in the incident.

Prude, 41, was restrained by military officers during a mental health emergency in March 2020. He died of suffocation complications after being deprived of life support and was convicted of homicide.

James said in a statement: “Daniel Prud is suffering from a mental health crisis. What he needs is compassion, caring, and the help of well-trained professionals.”

; “Sadly, he has everything. Not received.”

A body camera lens released by Prude’s family in September showed that Prude appeared to be unconscious when fixed on the ground.

The delay in the release of the videotape has caused James’ office to implement a new policy that will now release body camera footage early in the investigation process.

James said on Tuesday that the current deadly force law “has established a system that completely failed Mr. Prud and many before him,” he added, adding that “the entire criminal justice system” needs to be seriously reformed.

James said: “Although I know that the Prud family, the Rochester community and communities across the country will be destroyed and disappointed for granted, we must respect this decision.”

According to WHAM-TV of the ABC Rochester branch, after the announcement, hundreds of protesters gathered on Tuesday night where Prud clashed with the police last year. They shouted and said, “There is no justice, there is no peace.”

During the protest, the Rochester Police Department asked “anyone who wishes to protest peacefully not to participate in or participate in any violent acts.”

Warren, the mayor of Rochester, said in a statement that the decision was “difficult to understand for many of us.”

Warren said: “Today’s investigation results will not eliminate the damage caused, nor will it save Mr. Prud’s relatives. Moreover, we extend our sincerest prayers and condolences to his children and family.” “There is nothing to say. It can comfort a family who lost their loved ones in this tragic way. Our actions will ensure that Daniel Prud’s death will not be in vain.”

Lovely responds to James’ insistence that policies and procedures must be changed to “correct inequalities in the system.”

A statement said that James’ office had issued a comprehensive report detailing what allegedly occurred between March 22 and 23, “in order to obtain maximum transparency in the case.”

James will announce on Tuesday night that the judge has approved the motion to release the lawsuit, and more answers about the grand jury behind closed doors will also be announced.

She tweeted: “This is a critical step in achieving the urgently needed change.”

She said her office will “issue a lawsuit as soon as the judge approves it.”

Ben Krump and Antonio Romanucci, the lawyers representing the Crude family, said in a joint statement that they are “deeply disappointed” that the persons involved will not be criminally charged.

The lawyer said: “This tragedy can be avoided if military officers are properly trained and basic human etiquette and common sense are used to sympathize with Prud and give him the medical attention he deserves.” “We will continue in civil courts.” At the same time, it advocates justice while seeking federal police reform so that the ongoing tragedy against black citizens will end once and for all.”

The former police chief of Rochester, La’Ron Singletary, was fired in September for criticism of his handling of Prud’s death. Rochester Police Chief Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan (Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan) and the department’s police union, the Rochester Police Locust Club, said in a separate statement that seven police officers involved in the incident were also suspended that month and will continue to take vacations. Conduct an internal investigation.

Herriott-Sullivan said that she “has unwavering respect for our judicial system and the due process of everyone”, but the Ministry of Justice will continue to update its policies and training, from demotions and duties to intervention and mental health detention practices.

Herriott-Sullivan said: “I want my family and our community to know that I have accepted the post of interim police chief to make a real systemic change, and this is still my goal.” We are proud to be open to learning other methods and working together to prevent this common goal from happening again.”

Lawyers representing several suspended officials said they are receiving statutory training.

“We said from the beginning that our customers did nothing wrong,” James Nobles, who represented one of the officials, told WHAM on Tuesday. “They were trained in accordance with the procedures they requested and did what they were supposed to do. You know, 23 citizens of this community listened to the evidence for several weeks, and also witnessed dozens of witnesses, and came to the same conclusion of.”

“It’s easy to sit down and say they should get better, they should say this, they should do that,” Matt Rich, representing four of the officers, said to the station. “What they did was, in a crisis under high pressure, they returned to the training, which was ordered by the superior.”




Source link