After the state Supreme Court judge issued a ruling on Saturday night, 90 bars and restaurants were allowed to sue New York State for the 11 p.m. curfew related to the coronavirus until the normal closing of 4 a.m. this weekend.
Buffalo’s WIVB-TV reported that a preliminary injunction by Judge Timothy Walker took effect immediately.
Steve Cohen, an attorney at the Hogan-Willig law firm representing the plaintiff, said that the firm’s clients were satisfied with the decision. The company argued that the curfew is not supported by science.
Coronavirus climbs again causing CUOMO cracks to decrease in bars, gyms and restaurants
Cohen said: “For our customers, this may be the last chance to regain their lives. They are all hung up by a thread, and Judge Walker gave them a lifeline.”
“This may be the last chance for our customers to regain their lives. They were all hanged by a thread, and Judge Walker provided them with a lifeline.
WIVB reported that Walker’s ruling only applies to bars and restaurants participating in the lawsuit.
Earlier this month, Hogan-Willig sued Governor Andrew Cuomo and asked the judge to make the state comply with its December request for access to state data on the spread of the coronavirus.
Click here to complete full coverage of the coronavirus
WIVB reported that Cohen said at the time that the company wanted to prove that scientific data justified the state’s coronavirus restrictions.
At that time, Cuomo’s office responded, saying that it had not commented until it reviewed the lawsuit, and claimed that any statement of “deception or confusion” against the competent authority was “completely incorrect”.