قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / New deaths in the fight for Nagorno-Karabakh continue to spread

New deaths in the fight for Nagorno-Karabakh continue to spread



Yerevan, Armenia (Associated Press)-On Wednesday, the deadly fighting between Armenians and Azerbaijani forces in the Nagorno-Karabakh separation area showed no signs of abating, even though the United States implemented a ceasefire two days ago. But the ceasefire has so far failed to stop the outbreak of conflict for decades.

Nagorno-Karabakh officials said that Azerbaijani forces used Smerch long-range multiple rockets to attack the capital of the region Stepanakert and the nearby town of Shushi. This is a devastating weapon designed by the Soviet Union to be used. Explosives and cluster munitions destroyed large areas. Officials said one civilian was killed in Shushi City and two others were injured.

The Armenian Unified Information Center, run by the government, also reported that Azerbaijani forces targeted a maternity hospital in Stephen Nakert.

The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry rejected all allegations and in turn accused Armenian forces of using the Smerch multi-rocket system to shoot at the towns of Terter and Barda in Azerbaijan. Azerbaijani officials said the strike on Barda resulted in more than 20 deaths and 60 injuries.

Shushan Stepanian, a spokesman for the Armenian Ministry of Defense, called the allegations against Bada “baseless and false.”

;

The President of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev, promised on Twitter an “appropriate response” to the strike.

Nagorno-Karabakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) is located in Azerbaijan, but since the end of the war in 1994, it has been under the control of the Armenian ethnic forces backed by Armenia. At that time, Armenian forces not only controlled Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also occupied most of the territory outside the borders.

The most recent battle began on September 27 and involved heavy artillery, rockets, and drones. This was the largest escalation of hostilities in the separatist region in a quarter of a century since the end of the war. Hundreds or even thousands of people were killed in the fighting.

Despite repeated calls for peace and three ceasefire attempts, the deadly conflict continued for more than a month. The latest ceasefire agreement began on Monday after talks promoted by the United States, and it only began after Russia failed to reach a lasting ceasefire agreement twice. Both sides violated the ceasefire agreement, and these three ceasefire agreements were immediately questioned.

According to Nagorno-Karabakh officials, their 1,068 soldiers and 39 civilians have been killed and 122 civilians have been injured so far in the conflict. The Azerbaijani authorities have not disclosed their military losses, but said the fighting has killed 69 civilians and injured 322 others.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week that according to sources in Moscow, the number of deaths caused by the fighting was close to 5,000, which was much higher than the reports of both parties.

Russia, the United States and France co-chaired the so-called Minsk Group established by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe to mediate the conflict, but efforts to negotiate a political solution have stalled.

Aliyev has repeatedly criticized the Minsk Group for not making any progress in the past 30 years, and insisted that due to the failure of international mediation, Azerbaijan has the right to retake its territory by force.

The co-chairs of the Minsk Group are scheduled to meet with the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in Geneva on Thursday, but the prospects for progress seem bleak.

Turkey supported Azerbaijan in the conflict, but it tried to play a more important role in the peace talks-Armenia firmly opposed it.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (Recep Tayyip Erdogan) told lawmakers of the ruling party on Wednesday that he had spoken with Putin on the phone the day before that Ankara and Moscow would approve the Influence together to resolve conflicts.

Erdogan said: “If you want, we can solve this problem together.” “You have a conversation with (Armenian Prime Minister Nicole) Pashinian, and I have a discussion with my brother Ilham (Aliyev). Let us End this question.”

Erdogan did not communicate Putin’s response to his proposal.

The Kremlin’s telephone readout did not mention the proposal. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Tuesday that only Armenia and Azerbaijan can decide whether to include Turkey in peace talks.

Russia has a military base in Armenia and a security agreement to protect its allies. It has been playing a delicate diplomatic game while trying to maintain good relations with Azerbaijan and avoid a showdown with Turkey.

___

Associated Press reporter Daria Litvinova in Moscow, Aida Sultanova in London and Suzan Fraser in Ankara, Turkey contributed to this report.


Source link