CBS NEWS A US mother warns parents on social media about a "challenge" she has left on her daughter with severe burns, reports CBS Local. Jamie Prescott said that the "Deodorant Challenge" was responsible for the wounds on her 15-year-old arm.
Prescott posted on Facebook graphic images with the warning that her daughter Ellie participated in the Challenge, in which aerosol is sprayed deodorant on the skin for a long time.
"For all parents who have children, please, please set them and show them these pictures," reads the article. "These are the harmful consequences of something known as 'Deodorant Challenge', currently taking place in Yate, a city in England. "It literally involves spraying deodorant on someone else for as long as possible." 1
The injured teenager said she wanted to meet some friends in a park
"It seems pretty normal that many people showed their arms to me after doing it a while ago," Ellie Prescott said ,
Jamie Prescott told Somerset Live regional newspaper that her daughter "needs to see a practice nurse and go to practice once a week". She said the incident occurred on April 18.
"This challenge really needs to be made as public as possible," said Jamie Prescott. "It's just awful and has to stop."
The Deodorant Challenge is not new. As reported by USA Today, a year ago, a Facebook user shared photos related to the challenge. In 2014, Parentdish UK called it a "craze".
It is also not clear how widespread it is.
Last year, the University of Utah warned in its Health Feed blog
"Depending on how long you spray the aerosol on her skin, children can effectively get burns of first, second and third degree," said David Smart, a dermatologist from the University of Utah Health, in a post. The burns come out quickly by compressed gas in the spray cooling. The drop in temperature freezes the skin and causes frostbite, which is very similar to burning, he said.
Swiss Post notes that people who use aerosol deodorants are not at risk if they use it as directed.
"It takes real commitment, like the deodorant challenge, to burn yourself with aerosol deodorant," Smart said.
There were other new warnings about so-called challenges. In January, a government guard expressed concern about the dangerous use of a detergent. In social media fashion, teenagers put detergent pods in their mouths and post videos of the results online, calling it the "Tide Pod Challenge."