While Windows 10 barely featured on Build 2018, Microsoft today released a new preview for PCs with the sets, clipboard, dark design, editor, search, launch, and preferences improvements. This build comes from the RS5 branch, which is the Windows 10 update that the company plans to release later this year.
Windows 10 is being developed as a service, which means it regularly receives new features. Microsoft has released five important updates so far: November Update, Anniversary Update, Creator Update, Case Creator Update, and April 2018 Update.
Microsoft continues to optimize Sets, its new tabbed user interface. There is a new acrylic title bar courtesy of Fluent Design from Microsoft. Alt + Tab now includes Edge tabs, which you can change under Multitasking settings again – by the way, you can now choose to open apps and websites in a new window or tab. Finally, tabs are now restored to better performance by opening in the background and not using resources until you bring them to the front.
Microsoft adds some cloud capabilities to the Windows Clipboard (Settings => System => Clipboard) so you can paste anything you've previously inserted and paste it into various devices. If you press WIN + V, unlike CTRL + V, you can paste the clipboard history and even attach the objects you insert yourself multiple times. Your clipboard also rotates across Timeline and Sets, which means it will appear on any PC with this build or higher.
The dark Windows 10 theme (Settings => Personalization => Colors) has arrived in File Explorer. The dark theme now also supports the context menu of the File Explorer and the Shared File dialog box (the Open and Save dialogs).
Notepad now goes beyond Windows line endings (CRLF). In this build, Notepad now supports Unix / Linux line end (LF) and Macintosh line end (CR). To say that this is long overdue would be a massive understatement.
Speaking of editor: You can now mark any words or phrases in the app and search for them with Bing. The function can be accessed in three ways: from the context menu (context menu), the Edit menu, and by pressing CTRL + B. Groups will open a new tab with the Bing search results page:
Searches have been enhanced to support apps, documents, and more. The search is now also broader and Microsoft's promising preview is being updated and improved over time.
You can now name your tile folders in Start. Just drag a tile over one another, and when you expand the folder, you'll see a new option to name it.
The Settings app now uses Bing to answer a few frequently asked questions. The FAQs should help you to complete configuration tasks. If you click on these questions, you will be answered on Bing.com.
This desktop build also includes the following common fixes and improvements:
- Task Manager has now been added to the list of apps that do not apply by default
- Fixed an issue with clicking With the right mouse button on a tab in the title bar of Sets no context menu has been opened.
- Fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge was not already open would open all your default Web pages along with the new tab.
- Fixed an issue with the previous flight dll that could cause explorer.exe to crash every few minutes.
- Fixed an issue that caused VPN might not work after updating to previous build
- Fixed an issue in the previous build where apps would receive pending application updates from their main PC account were missing in secondary accounts.
- A problem with the previous flight was fixed. Bugcheck with the error IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in tcpip.sys.
- Fixed an issue where a border became visible when maximizing windows in recent flights.
- The design of This PC has been updated to reflect the status icon for cloud files (which is not relevant on this page.)
- The snipping toolbar (with WIN + Shift + S) now follows the desired theme, light or dark.
- Fixed an issue that may cause the Emoji panel and the touch keyboard to display incorrectly when invoked directly after restarting explorer.exe.
Today's update raises the Windows 10 build number for the RS5 branch of 17661 (available to testers on May 3) to create 17666. 19659002] This build has 13 known issues:
- If your PC gets stuck somewhere between the 80% -100% in Windows Update during "Prepare for installation …", please be patient and wait up to 30 minutes ( or in some cases – more than 30 minutes) for this stage.
- OOBE is black after completing the Windows Mixed Reality First Run experience. Motion controllers are not recognized even in exclusive apps. For insiders who want to keep Windows Mixed Reality running, consider pausing for new Insider Preview builds until these issues are resolved. You can pause insider preview builds by going to Settings> Update & Security> Windows Insider Program and selecting the Pause Insider Preview Builds and Stop One Bit Updates button.
- When you resume hibernation, the desktop may be currently visible before the lock screen appears as expected.
- If the Movies & TV user denies access to his video library (through the "Watch movies and TV on your video library?" Pop-up window or via Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV will crash when the user navigates to the tab "Personally" navigates.
- The narrator reads additional text when calling Alt + Tab.
- If you complete the setup for a Windows Mixed Reality headset in this build, the headset stays black and is not connected and reconnected to the PC.
- Puts UX for Office Win32 desktop apps is not final. The experience will be refined over time based on the feedback.
- The top portion of some Win32 desktop application windows may appear slightly below the tab bar when it is being expanded. To work around this problem, restore the window and maximize it again.
- Closing a tab can sometimes minimize the entire group.
- Tiled and overlapping windows, including features such as "Print Preview" in Word, do not work for inactive tabs
- The Office Visual Basic Editor window is currently tabbed, but not intended for the future.
- Opening an Office document while the same application has opened an existing document may result in an inadvertent change to the last active document. This also happens when you close a sheet in Excel while leaving other sheets open.
- Local files or non-Microsoft cloud files are not restored automatically, and no error message is issued to alert the user to this fact] As always, do not install it on your production machine.