Push the news: According to his prepared opening speech on Saturday night, Garland plans to tell the Senate Judiciary Committee that if confirmed, he will address civil rights and fight discrimination and family terrorism.
- He will focus on his career as a prosecutor-especially his investigation of the domestic terrorist Timothy McVeigh and supervision of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, which killed 168 people .
- During the siege of the Capitol, Garland will say that he intends to “supervise the prosecution of white supremacists and others who attacked the Capitol on January 6. This is a heinous attack designed to destroy The cornerstone of our democracy: the peaceful transfer of power to the democratically elected government of a new democratic country.”
- Regarding the independence of the office of attorney general, Garland will say: “The president nominates the attorney general as a lawyer, not for any individual, but for the American people.”
For the record: Garland is 68 years old and a native of Chicago. He graduated from Harvard University and Harvard Law School. Since 1997, he has served in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
- He was nominated by President Obama in 2016 to replace the late Justice Anthony Scalia.
- However, the then Senate Majority Leader McConnell (R-KY) prevented this and insisted on replacing the newly elected president. Choose later that year. Judge Neil Gorsuch was later confirmed by the Trump administration.
note: Bill Barr, the former Attorney General of the Trump Administration, has been criticized by Democrats during his tenure. Democrats accused him of political interference in criminal cases on behalf of the former president, but he firmly refused.
- In his last press conference as attorney general in December last year, Barr took the rare step of publicly contradicting Trump on some pressing issues, including Hunter Biden, the voting machine, and Russia’s presence in the Federation. After the institution was hacked.
Read Garland’s full opening speech via DocumentCloud:
Editor’s note: This article has been updated to include new details.