قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Man died of eating black bags of licorice

Man died of eating black bags of licorice



According to a doctor’s report on Wednesday, a construction worker in Massachusetts died after eating too much black licorice and causing a cardiac arrest.

According to the Associated Press, the 54-year-old ate a bag every day for half a week for several weeks, which prevented his nutrition from functioning properly and the system lost its balance.

Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, said: “Even a small amount of licorice can raise blood pressure slightly.”

;

The problem is glycyrrhizic acid, which is found in black licorice and many other foods and dietary supplements containing licorice root extract. It can cause dangerous low potassium and an imbalance of other minerals called electrolytes.

According to the US Food and Drug Administration (US Food and Drug Administration), black licorice contains the compound glycyrrhizin, a sweet compound extracted from the root of licorice.

Glycyrrhizin can cause a decrease in potassium levels in the body. When this happens, some people experience abnormal heart rhythms, as well as high blood pressure, edema (swelling), lethargy, and congestive heart failure.

According to the FDA, if you are 40 years of age or older, eating at least 2 ounces of black licorice per day for at least two weeks may cause arrhythmia or arrhythmia.


Source link