قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Khashoggi’s fiance says the Saudi crown prince should be punished “without delay”

Khashoggi’s fiance says the Saudi crown prince should be punished “without delay”



The fiancé of the murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi said on Monday that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman should be punished “without delay” following the release of the US intelligence report.

Hatice Cengiz said in a statement issued earlier on Monday: “If the crown prince is not punished, it will always show that the main criminal can escape murder, which will endanger all of us and pollute our humanity.” “If justice is ultimately denied, This will be the greatest shame for all mankind.”

Turkish national Cengiz is responding to the long-awaited US intelligence report on Friday, which concluded that Saudi Arabia’s de facto leader Salman has approved operations in Istanbul to capture or kill Khashoggi. (Khashoggi).

Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi speaks at a press conference in Bahrain in 201
4.
Hasan Jamali/AP file

The report said: “Our assessment is based on the Crown Prince’s control over the Kingdom’s decision-making.” Key advisers and Mohammed bin Salman members’ protection details were directly involved in the operation, as well as the Crown Prince’s support for the use of violence, including Khashoggi. Of overseas dissidents remain silent on measures. “

Although the overall conclusion of the report was first reported two years ago, President Joe Biden declassified it, thereby overturning the decision of his predecessor, Donald Trump.

On Friday, Secretary of State Anthony Brinken also announced that the 76 Saudis who allegedly harassed dissidents were subject to visa restrictions. The Ministry of Finance approved the Rapid Intervention Force (RIF) and served as Deputy Director of the Saudi Intelligence Agency.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said: “You must be held accountable for those who unethically killed Jamal Kashuji. “In opposing threats of violence and intimidation, the United States has dissent with journalists and political opinions. The people are united. “

However, in an interview with the Mehdi Hasan Show on Sunday and in a public statement on Monday, Cengiz was frustrated that no further action had been taken.

“I want to thank President Biden and his government for publishing this report,” Hingis told Hassan. “I think this is a very important step, but it is not enough. If no action is taken, it will be meaningless.”

Download the NBC News app to learn about major news and political news

She said: “We now have the truth… now it’s time to take action.”

Cengiz did not specify that she wants the Biden administration to hold the crown prince accountable. In her written statement, she called on the crown prince to be punished and asked world leaders to reconsider whether they are ready to shake hands with “a person who has been proven to be homicide but has not yet been punished.”

When asked by Hassan what news she wanted to send to the crown prince, Hingis said: “He will never get rid of it. This will haunt him all his life.”

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (Mohammed bin Salman) will attend the meeting in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia in 2018.Fayez Nureldine/AFP-Getty Images file

Khashoggi is a columnist for the Washington Post and a permanent resident of the United States. A group of intelligence agents that the team had close contact with the crown prince of the Saudi consulate in Istanbul was killed and dismembered in October 2018. His body has never been found.

Cengiz told NBC News in 2019 that she had moved to London, away from the “crime scene” in Istanbul, and learned English. It is not clear whether she still lives in the city. Her Twitter profile stated that she is a researcher between Turkey and Oman who is interested in Omani culture and customs.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Saudi Arabia issued a statement on the National News Agency of Saudi Arabia on Friday, stating that the Saudi government “resolutely rejects the abuse and incorrect conclusions in reports about Saudi Arabia’s leaders”.

It added: “Saudi Arabia condemns this heinous crime and its leaders have taken the necessary steps to ensure that such unfortunate incidents will not happen again in the future.”

The crown prince said that the killing was carried out without his knowledge, but in an interview with PBS “Frontline” in 2019, he said: “I bear full responsibility because it happened under my supervision.”

That year, eight men were also convicted for the murder of Khashoggi in a Saudi Arabian court-which many international observers described as a farce.

Five people were sentenced to death, but it was reduced to 20 years after being forgiven by Khashoggi’s relatives.

The former long-time Saudi ambassador to Washington, Bandar bin Sultan Al Saud, told the Lebanese News Service (ASAS) on Monday that “the Khashoggi murder case is closed.”

The former ambassador said that the CIA was unable to confirm the intention behind the murder and said that the kingdom acknowledged that Crown Prince Mohammed was morally responsible for the case.

He told the Lebanese News Agency: “One trial led to conviction and other acquittals. This crime hurt all Saudi Arabians,” he added.

Peter Jeary and Alfred Arian Contributed.




Source link