قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Indiana Man: Woman got carnivorous virus from Clearwater Hot Tub

Indiana Man: Woman got carnivorous virus from Clearwater Hot Tub



CLEARWATER, FL – A man in Indianapolis, Indiana, believes his wife died from carnivorous bacteria taken from a whirlpool in a Clearwater hotel

Richard Martin told WRTV television station in Indianapolis that he Carol, 50 years old when she returned from Clearwater in February, was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis. The couple stayed at Days Inn, 2940 Gulf to Bay Blvd., Clearwater, where Carol Martin used the hotel's hot tub to relax.

When she returned home, she began to complain of a painful pimple-like wound on her left buttock

She visited the doctor twice and received prescriptions for various antibiotics, but Martin said the wound would continue to grow.

On the third visit to the doctor, she had a biopsy of the area and discovered that she had the carnivorous virus. Carol Martin was taken to hospital for surgery and spent 1

6 days in an intensive care unit before being released. She died on Saturday, May 5 at home.

"She had lunch with me, I kissed her goodbye to go to work, I came home early in the morning and found her dead," Martin told the TV station.

Indianapolis Forensics has taken Carol tissue samples to determine if the infection caused her death. However, the results could take several months.

Martin told his local TV station that he was not "100 percent sure" that his wife had come into contact with the bacteria in the hot tub, but she said she was the only one to use the tub in the hotel during her stay used. There are no other reports that anyone in the Clearwater area has been infected with the virus.

The parent company of Days Inn, Wyndam Hotels, did not comment on the story.

According to the Florida Department of Health, necrotizing fasciitis is a rare, severe skin infection caused by the Vibrio vulnificus bacteria that live in warm, brackish seawater. The skin infection spreads quickly and kills the soft tissue of the body.

In Florida, 49 cases were diagnosed in 2017, with 11 of these people dying from the infection. So far no cases were reported in 2018.

There have been five cases in Pinellas County since 2016, with two deaths. None of these individuals contracted the infection from a whirlpool.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advise people with an open wound or skin infection to avoid spending time in hot tubs, whirlpools, swimming pools and natural waters (eg lakes, rivers, oceans). However, the CDC notes that the incidence of cases of necrotizing fasciitis does not appear to be on the rise.

To listen to Richard Martin's full interview with the television station WRTV, click here

Picture via WRTV and Florida Health Ministry

Get the Clearwater Newsletter

Subscribe


Source link