Yesterday, Apple released iOS 14.2 Release Candidate (GM) to developers, which shows that the public-facing release is not too far behind. iOS 14.2 RC includes more than 100 new emoji characters, has eight beautiful new wallpapers, Shazam music recognition CC switch key, redesigned AirPlay 2 interface and more. This iOS 14.2 version also fixes the annoying “Now there is a new iOS update” message that appeared every time you unlocked in the previous version Beta. Watch our hands-on video as you explore the main changes and features of iOS 14.2.
What are the new features of iOS 14.2 RC?
Note: Apple seems to replace the term “GM Seed”
- Fixed “There is a new iOS update now. Please update the message from the iOS 14 beta version that appears every time you unlock.
- Eight beautiful light and dark versions of new wallpapers
- Hundreds of new emoji characters
- Fixes for HDR video thumbnails exported from Final Cut Pro X
- Redesigned AirPlay 2 interface
- The playback controls and AirPlay 2 interface on the lock screen are now updated
- Redesigned the AirPlay 2 control in the Control Center
- The new animation allows you to see if there are other AirPlay 2 devices active on the network
- Source icon indicator for music, podcasts, etc.
- Updated AirPlay popup
Video: Major changes and features of iOS 14.2 RC
Subscribe to 9to5mac on YouTube for more videos
- Shazam music recognition CC switch
- Watch app with the new Apple Watch Solo Loop app icon
- “Reduce Loud Sounds” has been renamed “Headphone Security” in “Settings”
- Apple Card users now have an “annual event” label in the Wallet app
- Let Siri stop playing music on HomePod
- Support via Home app and via Siri intercom
iOS 14.2 Release Candidate has many points. If you are from the previous iOS 14.2 Beta, you will be happy to know the annoying “Now there is a new iOS update. This update has fixed the “Please update from iOS 14 beta” that occurs every time you unlock your iPhone. I think, This alone is sufficient to guarantee an update.
One of the biggest new features in iOS 14.2 is the improved AirPlay 2 interface in Control Center. Now you can find larger album artwork in the Control Center for the media being played. You will also find an icon in the lower right corner of the album artwork to indicate the source of the media.
Apart from these changes, when nothing is playing, both the control center and the lock screen will now display suggested media. On the “lock” screen, you need to connect a headset to display suggested media.
There is also a convenient new AirPlay 2 pop-up window for accessing other AirPlay 2 compatible devices on the network, including new animations that appear when the media is currently playing on these devices. This pop-up window can be accessed from any location where the AirPlay 2 device can be selected (such as lock screen, control center, music application, etc.).
There is also a brand new Shazam toggle switch, which can be added to the Control Center. With this switch, you can easily learn detailed information about songs playing in the environment without calling Siri.
It can be said that the two biggest new features in iOS 14.2 are eight new wallpapers and more than 100 new emojis. The new wallpapers stand out because they are full-screen wallpapers, which are less abstract than recent Apple wallpapers. When the user switches to dark mode, darker versions of eight new wallpapers are also included.
The new emojis include various newly added content, such as ninjas, disguised faces, boomerangs and more. I recommend using the iOS 14 emoji search function to find new favorites.
iOS 14.2 also brought a new intercom function, and launched HomePod mini at Apple’s iPhone 12 event. You will find a new intercom button in the upper right corner of the Home app, which can be used to communicate with HomePods at various locations in the house. Users can also use Siri to call the new intercom function to communicate with family members.
The harvest of 9to5mac
iOS 14.2 is a huge version, it has all the features listed here and many other changes, bug fixes and improvements. What is your favorite new feature in iOS 14.2? Put your thoughts in the comments.
FTC: We use profitable car affiliate links. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: