قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Grandmother on vacation may have died from carnivorous bacteria

Grandmother on vacation may have died from carnivorous bacteria



A 50-year-old grandmother died two months after vacationing in Florida – but her family claims her life could have been saved if the fatal infection she'd probably caught during the trip had been caught earlier [19659002CarolMartin-fromIndianapolisIndiana-returnedfromhertriptoClearwaterinFebruaryandtoldherhusbandRichardthatshehadpainfromasmallwoundonherbuttockshetoldABC6OnMarch11CarolwenttoalocalhospitalfortreatmentandthedoctorsprescribedherantibioticsandtoldheritwouldclearherownthefamilywroteonaGoFundMepage

However, Richard drove the next day Carol to the emergency room when it seemed the drug has not worked. Again, doctors told the couple that the wound would heal, said Richard ABC6.

Carol's health continued to deteriorate as she struggled to sleep, eat and get out of bed, the family wrote on the donation page. When she started spitting blood, Richard took her to the hospital for the third time. During this visit, the doctors performed a biopsy and found that their lesion was caused by a carnivorous bacterium called necrotizing fasciitis. : Woman dies of carnivorous bacteria after eating oysters: "She knew she was dying," says Relative

"In the emergency department," Richard recalled ABC6, "they said, 'Sorry, but it has a carnivorous bacterium, we need to bring it to surgery now. "

Necrotizing fasciitis quickly kills the body's soft tissue, which is found around muscles, nerves, fat, and blood vessels, and it can in a short time lethal, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Since 201

0, about 600 to 1,200 Americans have been diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis each year, although the CDC considers this to be an underestimate.

A necrotizing fasciitis infection can be successfully treated with antibiotics and surgical interventions to remove infected tissue early

RELATED VIDEO: 13-year-old Michigan boy dies after sinus infection spreads Brain

Carol – a mother of four and grandmother of seven – then underwent emergency surgery leading to the removal of half of her right buttocks, according to her GoFundMe side.

When she recovered from her original surgery, doctors discovered that the bacterium had spread and she underwent another operation to remove part of her left buttock. [Carol] returned home after more than two weeks of hospitalization and died days later on May 4.

"She made me have lunch, I kissed her goodbye to go to work, I came home early in the morning and found her dead," Richard ABC6 said. "We should have the answers and know why that went there."

The family recently set up a GoFundMe site to pay for funeral services. According to the page, an ad for Carol is scheduled for Monday at Singleton Mortuary in Indianapolis, and a service will be held on Tuesday.


Source link