A 38-year-old Florida man is dead after his steam wand exploded, triggering a massive fire in his home.
Tallmadge Wakeman D & # 39; Elia, known by friends as "Wake," died in a fire in a bedroom upstairs in his St. Petersburg, Florida, according to ABC Action News on May 5.
D & # 39; Elia was hit by part of the Vape who hit him with such force that the projectile pierced his skull and brain Autopsy report confirms the news agency.
He also suffered burns to about 80 percent of his body, according to the Tampa Bay Times . This is America's first known death caused by a vape pen or e-cigarette, ABC Action News reported.
His neighbor, Dale Little, told Fox 6 that she had identified D & # 39; Elias corpse after seeing "the smoke coming from the roof."
"We had hoped that no one was, but then found We found out that Wake was home, "she told the outlet.
It was destroyed by the death of. shook your friend and warned everyone who used vape pens.
"Make sure people know that these things are not as safe as they think," said Little.
The Vape Pen, also known as e "Cigarette," which used D & # 39; Elia, was created by a Philippine company called Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, reported .
The product is an unregulated mechanical vibration news, according to ABC Action. A representative of the e-cigarette company told the sales outlet that their devices are not exploding and said it was probably an atomizer or battery problem.
A report by the US Fire Department pointed out that there were at least 195 incidents exploded or caught fire from 2009 to 2016, according to Washington Post .
During this time, 133 injuries were caused, 38 of which were considered severe, the newspaper reported.
D & # 39; Elia worked at NY1 News and CNBC, later becoming Technical Supervisor for Squawk Box, after his obituary.
He is survived by his wife Maria Lamberti and his parents, Jennifer H. D & # 39; Elia and Christopher F. D "Elia.