The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns pet owners and veterinary professionals to avoid certain Sportmix pet foods after dozens of dogs fell ill and died after ingesting the product.
Midwestern Pet Foods Inc. (Midwestern Pet Foods Inc.) on Wednesday recalled four different batches of dry pet food for cats and dogs because an investigation found that some of its products contained potentially deadly aflatoxins.
The agency said in the notice that this mold by-product may cause high pathogenicity and fatality in pets, but it may still be on store shelves, online, or in pet owners’ homes.
Click here to read more about FOX business
After the FDA received reports that at least 28 dogs died after eating the recalled Sportmix pet food and another 8 people were sick, Midwest Pet Food Company initiated the recall.
The FDA said that after testing multiple samples, the Missouri Department of Agriculture found high levels of toxins, even if the mold is not visible.
Click here to start FOX business anytime
Pets poisoned by toxins appear to be sluggish and have a loss of appetite. The FDA said they may also experience vomiting, jaundice (yellowing of the eyes or gums due to liver damage) and/or diarrhea. In some cases, pets may even suffer liver damage without showing any symptoms.
According to the FDA, unlike people, pets are “highly sensitive” to aflatoxin poisoning because they usually eat the same food.
FDA said: “If pet food contains aflatoxin, as they continue to eat the same food, the toxin may accumulate in the pet’s body.”
U.S. Food and Drug Administration found dog food in high-level non-staple foods
Midwestern Pet Foods urges pet owners to safely discard products and clean and disinfect all pet bowls and food storage areas. The company also encourages retailers to contact customers who have purchased the affected products.
The FDA says pet owners should also consult their veterinarian about any concerns, especially if their pets show symptoms.
So far, the FDA has stated that there is no evidence that handling food poses any risk to pet owners, although they are encouraged to wash their hands afterwards.
An investigation into this matter is ongoing, and the agency plans to carry out follow-up activities in the manufacturing plant. When more information becomes available, the agency will update public information.
Apart from the recall notice, Midwest Pet Food did not provide further comments.