Nairobi, Kenya (AP)-The Eritrean government rejects the Associated Press report as a “heinous lie” Witnesses described the massacre of hundreds of people by Eritrean soldiers in the Tigri region of Ethiopia.
In a series of Twitter posts on Friday, Information Minister Yeman Gebremskell criticized Thursday’s story about the massacre in the holy city of Aksum in Ethiopia.
He said: “The Ethiopian institutions have long established the complete fallacy of this story.” Ethiopia’s neighboring countries have repeatedly denied the presence of Eritrean soldiers in its Tigri area, since the fighting between the Ethiopian Allied Forces and Tigri forces began in November. Since then, Eritrean soldiers have been cut off from the world.
Gebremeskel did not answer the AP question during the Tigley conflict that lasted for several months.
The Eritrean government has not confirmed that thousands of soldiers are said to be in Tigri.
Witnesses in several communities in Tigray accused them of widespread looting, killing and sexual assault. The Tigri region borders Eritrea and witnesses described seeing trucks passing by on their way into the country.
The story on Thursday quoted witnesses as saying that Eritrean soldiers attacked and killed civilians in the streets and churches of Axum, and then prevented some people from burying their bodies. A church deacon said that he believed that 800 people were killed on a weekend in late November, and thousands of people in Axum died.
Eritrea is one of the most secret countries in the world. It has long been the enemy of the former leaders who fled in the Tigri region, who ruled the Ethiopian government for nearly three decades. During this period, Ethiopia and Eritrea engaged in a 1
When the new Prime Minister Abi Ahmed achieved peace with Eritrea, the conflict ended in 2018 and he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2019. Now some critics of the Tigri conflict accuse Abi of long-term cooperation with Eritrean President Isaias Afverki.
No one knew that thousands of civilians were killed.
The Ethiopian Red Cross warned this month that if humanitarian assistance is not improved, the area still cannot reach 80% of the 6 million people, and thousands of people may starve to death in a month.