According to the Los Angeles City document released this week, E3’s 2021 physical event has been cancelled.
In a new report released by the Board of Directors of the Los Angeles Convention and Tourism Development Committee, a sales update listed E3 2021 as a “canceled live event.”
The document states that the Convention Board is working with E3 organizer Entertainment Software Association (ESA) to broadcast radio programs at the Los Angeles Convention Center and the nearby LA Live complex. The City Council also claimed that it is “working hard” to develop E3 licenses for 2022 and 2023.
The cancellation will mark the second consecutive year that the E3 event has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
As VGC exclusively disclosed this month, ESA has been promoting plans for digital E3 activities this summer, but it still needs the support of large game companies.
According to the E3 2021 promotional document sent to game publishers and seen by VGC, ESA outlined the proposal for this year’s event, which will be broadcast live for three days from June 15 to 17 as previously announced.
According to ESA’s proposal, the broadcast event will be supplemented by a media preview from the previous week and a demo published on the consumer platform.
Xbox Series X/S retail
However, the E3 2021 plan still needs to be approved by ESA members, which are composed of the largest gaming companies in the industry and have a significant impact on the development direction of the exhibition.
ESA has faced tremendous pressure to reshape E3. In recent years, several major publishers such as EA, Sony and Activision have all abandoned the event-that was before it was cancelled in 2020, and then many companies such as EA and Ubisoft have successfully operated their own E3 digital event.
Several game publishers told VGC that their job is to assume that no sports events will take place this year.
In a statement to VGC, ESA stated that it will soon share the exact details of this year’s E3 exhibition, and claimed that it is having “extreme dialogue” with developers and publishers, but will not confirm who signed the event.
An ESA spokesperson said: “We can be sure that we will change the E3 experience in 2021 and will soon share the exact details on how to integrate the global video game community.” “We are working with publishers, developers and The company has a comprehensive dialogue and we look forward to sharing detailed information about their participation as soon as possible.”
Reggie Fils-Aimé, former Nintendo American boss, commented on the VGC report that he believes that ESA must act quickly if it is to save the historic event.
In an interview with Gamertag Radio, Fils-Aimé said that he was not enthusiastic about reports that E3 will return digitally in 2021. “I have to say that the books I read are not that attractive.”
He said: “If I become a king for one day, I will tell you what I will do.” “I do think it is absolutely correct to do this digitally, and the reason is that there are usually more than 60,000 people participating in E3. Millions of people are interested in discovering what is happening and executing the event digitally is the way to make it a reality, so this is the right approach.
“That being said, I think platform holders need to find a digital way to enable their fans, their players to experience content, because this is the key to E3 rights-the ability to play “The Last of Us Part 3” . For the first time, or for the first time to play the next Breath of the Wild game, or to play the next great game after all Xbox studios merged.
“Playing for the first time is incredible. Platform owners need to figure out how to pass this experience to their fans in a digital experience similar to E3. I think that will be huge.”