قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Despite the ceasefire agreement, Armenia and Azerbaijan keep fighting

Despite the ceasefire agreement, Armenia and Azerbaijan keep fighting



Yerevan, Armenia (Associated Press)-The fighting on the separatist territory of Nagorno-Karabakh fought fiercely on Tuesday without being hindered by the ceasefire of US brokers, while Armenia and Azerbaijan Take responsibility for the rapid breakdown of the transaction.

Azerbaijan accused Armenia of using rockets to attack the Barda region, killing four civilians, including a two-year-old girl, and wounding 13 others. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan condemned the attack as “another war crime committed by Armenia in recent days, which completely violated the agreed humanitarian ceasefire agreement.”

;

The Armenian Ministry of Defense accused these allegations with “absolute lies and dirty provocations.”

Earlier in the day, the Armenian military accused the Azerbaijani army of firing at the Armenian border guard position on the country’s southern border with Iran, adding that the country had retaliated. The Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan rejected the statement as “false and provocative”.

After it went into effect on Monday, the truce of US brokers broke down immediately. Just like the two truces negotiated by Russia earlier, the warring parties accused each other of violating regulations.

To save the deal, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke with Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian (Nikol Pashinian) on Tuesday. . The State Department said he urged them “to keep their promises to cease hostilities and resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict diplomatically,” and emphasized that “there is no military solution to resolve this conflict.”

Nagorno-Karabakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) is located in Azerbaijan, but since the end of the war in 1994, it has been under the control of the Armenian ethnic forces backed by Armenia. At that time, Armenian forces not only controlled Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also occupied most of the territory outside the borders.

Since the end of the war, the most recent battle began on September 27, involving heavy artillery, rockets and drones. It was the largest escalation of hostilities in a separatist region in a quarter of a century.

According to Nagorno-Karabakh officials, they have so far killed 1,009 soldiers and 39 civilians in the conflict, and 122 civilians have been injured. The Azerbaijani authorities have not disclosed their military losses, but said the fighting has killed 65 civilians and injured nearly 300.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week that, according to sources in Moscow, the death toll from the fighting was close to 5,000.

Russia, the United States and France co-chaired the so-called Minsk Group established by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe to mediate the conflict, but their attempts to negotiate a political solution have reached a deadlock.

The co-chairs of the Minsk Group are scheduled to meet with the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan in Geneva on Thursday, but the prospects for progress seem bleak.

The President of Azerbaijan argued that after nearly three decades of international mediation failed, Azerbaijan has the right to retake its territory by force.

In an interview published on Monday, Aliyev once again targeted the Minsk Group, accusing its co-chairs of working to “freeze the conflict” and providing “just promises, just a bureaucratic procedure.”

The President of Azerbaijan said that in order to end the hostilities, Armenian forces must withdraw from Nagorno Karabakh. In a TV broadcast on Monday, Aliyev boasted that the Azerbaijani army had regained control of Nagorno-Karabakh and its surrounding areas.

In the past, both Armenian and Nagorno-Karabakh officials rejected Aliyev’s previous claims for battlefield gains. However, the Armenian Ministry of Defense admitted on Monday that Azerbaijani forces controlled the town of Gubadli near the southern edge of Nagorno-Karabakh and acknowledged that Azerbaijani forces have also “made progress in some areas.

____

Associated Press writers Daria Litvinova (Daria Litvinova) and Moscow’s Vladimir Isachenkov (Vladimir Isachenkov), London’s Aida Sultanova (Aida Sultanova) and Matthew Lee of Washington contributed to this report.


Source link