The boy was identified by the Cook County Medical Inspector as Adam Toledo and lived near the place where the shooting took place near the small village.
The original police department statement stated that a police officer shot him during an “armed confrontation” and posted a photo of the gun on Twitter. The spokesperson said the gun was found at the scene.
In a follow-up statement on Thursday, Chicago Police Department Chief David Brown issued a statement stating that the person shot by the police was a teenager, but did not mention the boy’s age and refused to disclose his name.
He said that the officer was appointed to an administrative post for a period of 30 days.
7;s mother wants answers
At a press conference on Friday, the boy’s mother Elizabeth Toledo said she wanted to know the truth about why the police shot her son.
Elizabeth Toledo said in sobbing: “I just want to know what happened to my child.” “The police shouldn’t…they have many choices, but they didn’t kill him. They might be waving his legs in the air. , Arm, arm. I don’t know. But do you want to kill my child?”
According to WLS, an affiliate of CNN, the family issued a statement saying that although Toledo was killed on Monday, his family had not been notified for two days.
Family lawyer Adeena Weiss Ortiz said on Friday that police told Toledo that her son was dead, but did not know that he was shot until she met with the authorities in person.
Toledo said that Adam was very happy, loved animals and built Lego bricks. “He still plays with Hot Wheels,” she said tearfully.
Ortiz said that Adam was “a good boy” and had no criminal history.
Early morning shooting
According to the police, the officers said when they received the call that they saw “two men in a nearby alley” at “2:30 am”. According to the police, one of them was armed and fled from the police. A police officer fired a gun, hitting one in the chest.
The police only said that the boy was “declared dead at the scene” and did not specify the age of the person who shot the police.
The agency previously stated that it was unable to release related videos due to the boy’s age.
The statement said: “COPA is currently working with the Toledo family and their representatives to arrange for the review of unpleasant videos.”
The mayor and police chief demanded the release of body camera footage.
The mayor said: “Although the investigation is still ongoing, it is crucial that COPA should first release related videotapes to the family and then, under appropriate protection, to the public as soon as possible and provide appropriate protection.”
He said on Twitter: “The public should have a complete window to understand the momentary decisions our officials are forced to make.”
CNN’s Melissa Alonso, Peter Nickeas and Hollie Silverman contributed to this story.