SAN JOSE, California – The first blow was all that Ryan Bader needed to make it to the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix] All Bader (25- 5 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) needed a hard left hook just after the opening bell, and Muhammed Lawal (21-7 MMA, 10-6 BMMA) did not know what hit him. He fell to the mat, where Bader fell with a flood of ground-and-pound shots, causing referee Mike Beltran to finish the fight just fifteen seconds after the first round.
The Heavyweight Tournament Fight was the main event of today's Bellator 198 Show at the SAP Center in San Jose, California. It was aired on Paramount after pre-series on MMAjunkie.
Light Heavyweight Champion Bader will now continue in the semifinals to confront Matt Mitrione.
Up-to-the-minute Bellator 199 results include:
- Ryan Bader def. Muhammed Lawal on KO (Round) – Round 1, 0:15 – Heavyweight Grand Prix Opening Round
- Jon Fitch besp. Paul Daley by unanimous decision (29-27, 29-26, 29-26)
- Aaron Pico def , Lee Morrison on TKO (Body Punch) – Round 1, 1:10
- Cheick Congo def. Javy Ayala via KO (Schlag) – Round 1, 2:29
- Adam Piccolotti bes. Carrington Banks via Template (Hecknackte Choke) – Round 3
- Cass Bell def. Khai Wu via template (Guillotine Choke) – Round 2, 3:27
- Jordan Williams def. Brandon Hester on TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:11
- Amber Leibrock def. Janay Harding by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26)
- James Terry def. Danasabe Muhammad by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Gaston Bolanos esp. Malcolm Hill on TKO (Injury) – Round 1, 2:54
- Justin Tenedora bes. David Rivera-Cruz via Template (Triangle Throttle) – Round 1, 4:27
- Deron Winn discusses Ahmed White via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 2:32
For a full coverage of Bellator 199, check out the MMA events on the page.