قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Azerbaijan, Armenia vowed to avoid targeting residential areas

Azerbaijan, Armenia vowed to avoid targeting residential areas



Yerevan, Armenia (Associated Press)-Armenia and Azerbaijan agreed on Friday to avoid shelling residential areas in the fighting between Nagorno-Karabakh. This commitment was made after a day of talks in Geneva, even if the Azerbaijani army pushed it into deeper separated territories.

The two parties agreed that they “will not deliberately target civilians or non-military targets under international humanitarian law.” They also pledged to help restore and exchange the remains of soldiers left on the battlefield, and submit a list of prisoners of war within a week to “provide access The purpose of “ultimate exchange”.

The talks between the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan were sponsored by the so-called Minsk Group of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, which was co-chaired by Russia, the United States and France. The co-chairman said in a statement issued after the meeting that Armenia and Azerbaijan also pledged to put forward their proposals on a possible ceasefire verification mechanism.

Nagorno-Karabakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) is located in Azerbaijan, but since the end of the war in 1

994, it has been controlled by the Armenian ethnic forces backed by Armenia. The most recent hostilities began on September 27, when hundreds or even thousands of people were killed, which marked the most serious escalation of fighting since the end of the war.

ratio
YouTube video thumbnail

The US brokerage ceasefire agreement that took effect on Monday broke down immediately, just like the two previous ceasefire agreements reached by Russia. The warring parties have repeatedly accused each other of human rights violations.

During Friday’s talks, the co-chairs of the Minsk Group urged both parties to fulfill their ceasefire commitments. They said in a statement: “The co-chairs will continue to work in-depth with the two parties to seek a peaceful resolution of the conflict.”

When senior diplomats were engaged in intense talks in Geneva, after more than a month of fierce fighting, the Azerbaijani army continued to attack Nagorno Karabakh.

The Armenian Ministry of Defense said that intense clashes are taking place in the south of Nagorno-Karabakh. The Azerbaijani military reported that the Terter and Gubadli areas of Azerbaijan had been shelled by Armenia.

The separatist leader in Nagorno-Karabakh said Thursday that the Azerbaijani army has advanced within 5 kilometers (about 3 miles) of the strategic fortress town south of the region’s capital, Stephanakt.

While deeply concerned about the achievements of the Azerbaijanis, Arayik Harutyunyan urged the residents to mobilize all resources to resist the attack on Shushi, which is a connection to Nago The main roads of Cherno-Karabakh and Armenia.

Harutyunyan said: “The people who control Shusde controlled Nagorno Karabakh,” standing next to Shuz Cathedral, which was badly damaged by Azerbaijani shelling earlier this month.

In Stepanakert, a group of people boarded a bus bound for Armenia to escape the fighting.

“I don’t want to leave. I want to stay in the village, but they told us that we should leave.” said Valya Sogomonyan, who fled the village in the Askelan area. “Azerbaijanis are shelling our village. We are going to leave the house and leave everything behind.”

The President of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev, insisted that after three decades of international mediation failed, Azerbaijan has the right to retake its territory by force. He said that Armenia must guarantee its withdrawal from Nagorno Karabakh as a condition for a lasting ceasefire.

The Azerbaijani forces, which rely on strike drones and long-range rocket systems provided by Turkey, have regained control of several areas on the margins of Nagorno-Karabakh and disguised as separatist territory from the south.

According to Nagorno-Karabakh officials, 1,166 people and 39 civilians were killed in their troops. The Azerbaijani authorities have not disclosed their military losses, but said that the battle killed at least 91 civilians and wounded 400 others.

But Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week that according to news from Moscow, the actual death toll was significantly higher, approaching 5,000.

___

Associated Press writers Vladimir Isachenkov (Vladimir Isachenkov) in Moscow and Aida Sultanova (London) contributed to this report.


Source link