قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Sport / After ECU 50 years ago, the plane of the Marshall football team crashed

After ECU 50 years ago, the plane of the Marshall football team crashed

For Clayton’s Carrie Gail Parker, Saturday will be an unforgettable anniversary.

On November 14, 1970, a chartered plane carrying the Marshall football team crashed after the Greenville game against East Carolina. Seventy-five people were killed. The players, coaches, Thunder Chaser supporters, and flight crew all disappeared.

Parker’s father, Gail, was the only one who landed the plane from Huntington, West Virginia, and he did not return to the plane. But although Gail Parker’s life was spared-Marshall coach Rick Tolley decided his fate in seconds, but he will be forced to endure many people he knows He suffered heavy losses and was forced to endure the guilt of the survivors with questions like me.

In an interview with News and Observer this week, she said: “He basically thinks that the reason is that he is not on the plane and there is a lot of work to do.” “But he has a lot of inner feelings and must be resolved within himself.

Carrie Gail Parker (Carrie Gail Parker) was only 4 years old. Huntington was at home at the time. She was old enough to feel what terrible things happened that night in 1

970, but she was too young to grasp. Its full meaning.

Vince Carelli is one of her young playmates. She heard someone say that Al Carelli, one of Vince’s father Marshall’s assistant coaches, died.not good

Her father is a graduate assistant coach and will return to China soon. that’s good.

She said: “Everyone is sad.”

It was not until later that she learned about the pain her father suffered, how the crash changed his life course and goals, and how he could make his life meaningful.

Gail Parker was Marshall’s freshman football coach in 1970. He is eager to continue as a college coach, hoping to become a college coach one day.

The Southern Airlines chartered flight for the ECU competition was the only flight carried out by Lei Qun during the 1970 season. There is enough space on the DC-9 for some school boosters and famous Huntington merchants attending travel parties.

When Gail Parker was participating in the landing flight, assistant instructors Red Dawson and Dke Brackett drove to Greenville and stopped to see the recruits in Virginia. After the game-the Chasers lost to the Pirates 17-14-Breckett flew back with the team and Pike drove Dawson.

“At the last minute, my father went to Coach Tory and said. “Are you sure you don’t want me to return to the team?” “Kelly Gail Parker said. “Coach Tolley stopped as he thought, and said, no, continue with Red. Dad is from Virginia, and he always helps him scout this plan.

“My father did not give up his seat on the plane. My mother knew that he was not on the plane, but wanted to drive back.”

Parker and Dawson jumped into a college van at Ficklen Stadium at the time. The team went to Kingston Airport for a “flight to eternity”.

In this file photo on November 15, 1970, a firefighter looks up at the wreckage of a DC-9 jet in Kinowa, Washington, with the Marshall University football team on board. AP file photo

ECU won the competition 17-14

The details about the football match are vague. The crowd was sparse, with 8,711 attendance listed. The weather is said to be gloomy and gloomy.

The Thunder defeated Kent State University 20-17 a week before heading to Greenville, ending a four-game losing streak. The Pirates 1-8 was the only time they defeated Furman, and they lost the Marshall 38-7 in 1969.

Before the game started, ECU wide receiver Dick Corrada Jr. got the pass near the midfield. Marshall Middle School coach Frank Loria (Frank Loria) is nearby. He was a National Security Officer at Virginia Tech, and Corrada’s high school performance in Richmond, Virginia is also admirable.

“I said to him something like’Coach, when you play at Tech, I really admire you,'” Corrada said in an N&O interview this week. “He said,’Thank you, you played well.’ I thought it was cool. At that time, you just didn’t talk to the other team before the game.”

It was a short moment, but the memory will last for 50 years.

Tony Guzzo’s short-term fourth-quarter goal is the change of that day. The Buccaneers rushed for 142 yards from Les Strayhorn, and Billy Wallace rushed for 135 yards to win. After the game, the two teams were quickly on the court. shake hands.

ECU offensive guard Mike Kopp told N&O at the time that he had been fighting with a defensive lineman throughout the game and his two front teeth were missing. The player’s expression between teeth will be visible with him.

ECU coach Mike McGee tried to persuade Tolley that due to bad weather, the herd might stay overnight in Greenville and fly back the next morning. But this was a short flight. Tory wanted to go home. China Southern Airlines 932 left Kingston with flight 75 at 6:38 pm.

The National Transportation Safety Board reported that the weather at the Tri-State Airport that night was very poor, with light rain and fog. The NTSB report stated that the aircraft approached too low and knocked down on a hillside about one mile from the runway and hit a tree at 7:36pm.

“We entered the airport during the day a year ago and it did sneak on you. This is really scary,” Corrada said.

Corrada and other participants were scattered in towns and campuses and celebrated when they started hearing news reports. McGee’s task was to inform the parents of the Marshall players who remained in Greenville that a vigil was held in the Wright Auditorium later that night.

“This is totally devastating,” said Corrada, a 71-year-old member of the ECU Athlete Hall of Fame. “We were totally in a daze. It was like, “We just competed with these guys on the football field for three hours, and that was the last time they were alive. “I’ve been thinking about it all the time. It’s really sad, the saddest thing is.”

A photo on N&O that Sunday showed Strayhorn chasing the ball with the Marshall guard. The 56th player was not found in the photo caption, but Jerry Stainback, a senior guard in Newport News, Virginia, was called “JD.” The younger brother John was stationed in Vietnam. His parents are in the game.

Stainback is only one day away from his 24th birthday. After getting married, he left a pregnant wife and a 1-year-old son.

Marshall’s Jerry Stainback (56) chased East Carolina’s Les Strayhorn (Les Strayhorn) in the East Carolina game against Marshall on November 14, 1970. In the game in Greenville, North Carolina, Stainback was only one day before his 24th birthday. He was married and his eldest son died in a plane crash that night. News and observer file photos

ECU-Marshall 2020 game cancellation

East Carolina will play Marshall at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium on September 12th this season.

Due to coronavirus considerations, the game was initially postponed and temporarily reset on December 5, but it was later announced that it would no longer play.

In 2006, East Carolina opened the Marshall Memorial in Dowdy-Ficklen. A plaque read: “They flee to eternity forever and change the lives of those who love them.” In this year’s game, Corrada and some other players of the ECU 1970 team had planned to pay tribute again, but it was not the case.

Marshall (Marshall) beat the 16th in the nation 6-0 and will host East Tennessee on Saturday, November 14. In the past 50 years, the comprehensive reconstruction of the plan won two national championships in the I-AA division in the 1990s before moving to Tennessee. The IA department and Marshall coach Doc Holliday (former assistant coach who served as Chuck Amato employee at NC State) won the U.S. conference championship and six games.

According to the Associated Press, the Marshall players killed on that day in 1970 will receive their degrees from Marshall on Friday. The campus memorial fountain will once again hold a memorial ceremony.

“This is the most important game we play throughout the year. It’s not even close,” Holliday told The Associated Press.

Holliday said in an online letter sent to the Marshall student group this week. “This week is our 75th birthday. Our football program ranks among the top in the country, performing well and competing for the conference championship. All our hopes and dreams are in front of us. …Take a moment to remember 75 and their right The meaning of our university. We will never forget them.”

Parker is proud of her father

Carrie Gail Parker is a paralegal at Millberg Gordon Stewart Law Firm in Roleigh. She has a small farm near Clayton and has raised horses for more than 30 years.

Parker is proud of her father’s achievements. When Gail Parker and Red Dawson were near Greensboro, they heard news about the crash on the radio. That is the time to change lives.

Dawson will stay in Marshall and serve as a coach for two years before leaving. In 1971, the herd’s new head coach Jack Lengyel (Jack Lengyel) did not keep Parker.

Parker became a high school student guidance counselor and football coach in Virginia. While continuing to serve as a volunteer and football coach, he was very successful in the insurance business of the Bureau of Agriculture and started Sunday school ministry in his church.

His daughter said that he has been very active.

She said: “He continues to have a significant impact on the lives of many people.” “The people he mentored, the people he worked with, the married young men in his Sunday school class. He inspired my brother and I to have a passion for football. Love it.”

The movie “We Are Marshall” released in 2006 focused on the consequences of the tragedy and the treatment and reconstruction needed-within the University of Huntington, a football project was implemented. Dawson’s personal story is an integral part of the movie’s storyline, but it is not Parker’s story.

The premiere of the film brought some of the people moved by the tragedy back to Huntington, including Parker’s last visit here.

Gail Parker (Gail Parker) talked about the crash in a 2006 interview with Virginia pilot (Virginian-Pilot), but did not board the plane, he said: “We are here for a purpose, I believe that when I achieve my goal Later, I will leave here.”

Parker died in Franklin, Virginia in 2009 at the age of 66.

“I really miss him,” Carrie Gail Parker said. “But I’m glad that I was less than 4 years old when he died. I was Dad’s girl.”

Chip Alexander's picture

In the 30 years of The N&O, Chip Alexander has covered the rhythms of NC State, UNC, Duke and East Carolina. It is now his 11th season in the rhythm of Carolina Hurricanes. Alexander has won numerous awards at the state and national levels. He reported on the hurricane that hit North Carolina in 1997 and was part of the 2006 Constance Cup Stanley Cup competition reported by N&O.

Source link