After the deadly riots in the Capitol last week, Senator Mark Warner urged Facebook and other social media giants to retain “digital evidence” of the chaotic scene that engulfed the building.
The Virginia Democratic Party tweeted on Saturday: “After the rebels attacked our country’s Capitol on Wednesday, I call on telecommunications and social media companies to preserve digital evidence of the Capitol riots.”
Warner said in a letter to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg: “The U.S. Capitol is now a crime scene.”
CAPITOL protest: The FBI̵
“If you have not done so, then I ask Facebook to work to immediately retain any and all posts, communications, videos and other media, metadata, cloud backups and subscriber information, whether currently on your platform or in any backup Or create an archive status on Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, which may be related to Wednesday’s attack on the U.S. Capitol by insurgents,” wrote Warner, a Democrat from Virginia.
A Facebook spokesperson told Fox News via email on Sunday: “We will continue to conduct ongoing, proactive enforcement activities and strive to respond quickly to effective legal requirements.” “We are deleting content, disabling accounts, and interacting with law enforcement. Departments cooperate to prevent direct threats to public safety.”
The photos of pro-Trump mobs attacking the Capitol have sent shockwaves across the world. The violence resulted in the deaths of five people, including congressional police, and triggered a high-tech hunt by the FBI for suspected riots.
After CAPITOL RIOT responds, FACEBOOK will be blocked indefinitely
After his response to the Congressional riots, Facebook decided to block President Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely, which is also the focus of Facebook.
After Facebook last Thursday, Zuckerberg wrote: “The shocking events of the past 24 hours clearly show that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in the office to undermine his elected successor. , The peaceful and legal transition of the Biden regime.”
He added: “We believe that the risk of allowing the president to continue using our services during this period is too great.” “Therefore, we will extend our use of his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely, at least for In the next two weeks, until the peaceful transition of power is completed.”
Click here for the FOX News App
Stephanie Pagones and Brooke Singman of Fox News contributed to this article.
Follow James Rogers on Twitter @jamesjrogers