The police said they are still looking for the suspect.
Authorities said seven people, including four children, were injured in an apparent driving shot in Mesa, Arizona on Friday night.
The victims included three adults and four children aged 1
Cost said that the 1-year-old was hospitalized under “extremely critical” conditions, while the lives of other victims ranged from mild to severe, not life-threatening.
Cost said: “This is devastating, this is a sad day.”
Cost said the shooting occurred after the residents of a white SUV stopped in the middle of the road and opened fire at the food area where several families were eating.
The police said that one of the food suppliers opened fire on the vehicle and it is not clear whether it was hit.
The police said no suspects were found or detained.
Cost said investigators did not find any connection between the offender and the victim. The person in charge said that they were also trying to determine whether the incident that occurred in the same parking lot a few hours earlier that day was related to the shooting. In that incident, the food supplier intervened and a man allegedly assaulted a woman.
Coster said: “This meaningless and evil violence will not be tolerated in our city or anywhere else.” He urged people to provide any information.
Officials and investigators were dealing with the scene on Saturday and talking with witnesses. The scene video captured by Phoenix Satellite TV ABC branch KNXV shows that the tent for the incident is still being set up in the parking lot.
Detective Nik Rasheta, a spokesperson for the Mesa Police Department, said at a live press conference on Friday: “We are in the early stages of trying to find out who did this and what was the motive of this incident.”